+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Does your toddler...

sleep with a comfort toy?

So far my DD has slept without toys because i thought they may be a 'play cue' and didn't want any distractions to sleep but i've been considering possibly introducing one lately. Sleeping through the night has never been an issue, the problem arises when I put DD down to sleep in the evening the crying begins as soon as I leave the room, I literally have to sit in the room until she's asleep, she keeps checking to make sure I'm still there. I thought maybe if she had a toy in her cot she would be more comfortable with mummy not being there? Is that the idea, does it work for you? Would you recommend introducing one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids have always loved a sleep teddy and have changed them themselves overtime, so we didn't have the worry of not having the one and only special sleep teddy. That was always my worry that there would be one, and one only, special teddy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I thought having a teddy in with ds1 would encourage play at bed time because he is so easily distracted. Turns out it wasn't a problem and he sleeps with an elephant teddy and his hoot. First few nights he laid there talking to his elephant but he eventually just started hugging it to sleep. We just encouraged him to hug his teddy after mum and dad hugs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't got a toddler anymore, but all my kids had special/favourite blankets they slept with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Never has had any toys in bed, just a satin-edge blanket. BUT, I have set up a little 'nook' next to his toddler bed with a blanket on the floor, a body pillow and a few soft toys, plus a night-light which is just some solar fairy lights (out of reach). We hear him play with his softies occasionally if he isn't tired enough for sleep straight away. So the idea of a soft toy in the cot might be worth a try.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got one to make childcare naps easier. It has worked a treat and we have no issues with playing with them. My DS snuggles straight into his and gets comfy for bed. I am concerned about long term but so far so good. DS is 2 and has had one for about a year. It's only recently that hehas started taking it out with him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a Winnie the Pooh which my daughter slept with right through for years when she was three and we still have it, hale and hearty! Apart from sleeping, she used to actually talk to it and walk all around the house with it. But eventually, she let go...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes a comfort toy is a great idea at your daughters stage.

It will be a transition object for her and will help give comfort and reassurance when her parents are not in the room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS has his blankie and also brings in trucks or cars or whatever he wants LOL. He has had his massive fire truck in there before. Doesn't affect his sleep.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think cuddle toys are a great idea. Dd has a blankie which is actually an old tshirt of mine. She used to do exactly what your dd does OP, got upset when I left the room. So I pulled off my tshirt and left it with her to cuddle. I did that for a few nights and one night she latched onto this particular one and never let go. She was 6mo at the time, she's 6.5yo now and still sleeps with it every night