+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Work place bullying, please help!

I don't know what to do. I was dragged into the general mangers office yesterday for breaching my contract.. Thing is.. I DIDNT! I really didn't & he didn't take my word for it.

The staff member who reported 'it' HATES me. She's slandered myself (and my special needs daughter) on social media & spread numerous rumours about me.

I've never reported her because I havn't felt like I had anything concrete but now when I put all of the timeline together it's pretty obvious she's bullying me.

I really want to bring it to the attention of my manager, especially since he is threatening to terminate my contract but I'm also angry at him for the way he went about reprimanding me & feel like taking it to the next level.

What do I do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If he wanted to discuss an issue like that with you - you should have been provided with sufficient notice (24 hours) and the right to bring a support person with you - did he offer you this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No he offered neither! And his excuse was 'I am a contractor, not an employee, so employee rights don't apply'

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sure fair work would disagree with him... Maybe give them a call and explain your whole situation and get some guidance

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grooviechic35 For This Useful Post:

angelini  (21-03-2014),Mummy Potato  (20-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Regardless of whether you are a contractor or not, you have the right to prepare yourself for such a discussion and have appropriate support with you. As PP said - Fair Work would take a dim view.

If you wish to lodge a complaint re the other lady my advice would be to put it in writing. Include a timeline of events and if you can take screen shots of any social networking comments etc she made about you I would include those also.

If he brings you in again would tell him you won't discuss further until you have had 24 hours notice and that you will be using your right to take a support person with you to make notes etc....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pumpkin1106 For This Useful Post:

Mummy Potato  (20-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What did she say you did?

There is no 24 hour rule but if you were being questioned about a contract breach then best practice would have been to offer you a support person to come with you.

If you think you've been bullied then you absolutely need to write it all down in a timeline with as much info as possible, and as factually as you can.

Is there a bullying/harassment policy?

As of Jan this year, you can also lodge a bullying complaint with Fair Work without having to discuss it with your employer (crazy IMO!) so that's another avenue for you. I would highly recommend trying to use any internal procedures first though if you can.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't say what she said , but if it were true the company would have every right to sue me for hundreds of thousands of dollars. It's a pretty big breach. One I DID NOT do & am being falsely accused for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is no harassment policy for contractors that I am aware off. I am currently drafting a formal complaint for my GM & Regional manager.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FITCHICK View Post
    There is no harassment policy for contractors that I am aware off. I am currently drafting a formal complaint for my GM & Regional manager.
    They have to treat contractors the same was as employees for things like bullying

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Without proof they're pretty screwed. They can't sue you on the basis of a rumor and it is up to them to provide proof that you broke contract I'm pretty sure. Not sure about termination of your employment, being as you're on a contract. I guess if they can't they just won't renew it, but I'd be demanding proof of the claims, rather than just "X said you did this" 'cause that really isn't acceptable for chewing your **** out, threatening to terminate your employment or sue you.