+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 4+ children- how do you organise bedrooms

Hi there,

Just interesting in seeing how families with 4 or more kids organise their house/bedrooms. How many bedrooms do you have and what ages are the children that share?

we currently live in a 3 bedroom house and we are just wondering if we could manage 4 or 5 kids in it or would need to up size?

If you have small or few bedrooms do you have a big living area/backyard?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have 4 daughters aged 7,5,4&2. Our house is 4 bedroom with a study and 2 lounge rooms.
    DD2&3 share a room and DD1&4 have their own rooms. We plan to have a 5th who will probably have her own room once he/she turns 1 and DD1&4 will share then.
    If you had 4 kids you could make 3 bedrooms work but having 5 and 3 bedrooms would be difficult. Not only with living space but clothing. Managing to have space for kids clothes would be hard!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have 5 kids and until Jan this year we lived in a 3 bedroom house with only one living room. To be perfectly honest it was torture and I don't recommend it! I think it was made more difficult for us simply because the two kids bedrooms were upstairs and our bedroom was downstairs, so it made it harder to keep order in their rooms.

DD1 + 2 shared a room, DS1 + 2 shared another room and DS3 was still in a cot in our room as there was no room for him anywhere else.

We now live in a much larger house and all the kids have their own rooms, plus we have two living areas - it's AMAZING having our own space! The kids bedrooms all stay clean and tidy and there is much less clutter. Bedtimes are much less stressful and the kids can't stay up all night talking etc. Plus it was difficult as DD1 is 12 and DD2 is only 7, yet they had to go to bed at the same time - DD1 now is able to have a more suitable bedtime and has her own space to do teenage things

Honestly, I wouldn't do anything less than 4 bedrooms and 5/6 is ideal.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jade24 For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (20-03-2014),ozeymumof5  (01-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice, we aren't up to 4/5 kids yet but just doing some forward planning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I have kids 5 at home one away at uni.

We currently share rooms but the new house will have a bedroom per child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We have 4 soon to be 5 girls aged 17, 6, 3, 18 months (17 year old is dh's sister). They have all had their own rooms until i fell pregnant with this baby. Now our 6 year old and 3 year old share a room while the 17 year old and 18 month old have their own room as will the baby. The 2 that share are both heavy sleepers so dobt disturb each other if they wake during the night etc. 18 month old is a light sleeper so her sharing would be a nightmare and the 17 year old needs her own space for study etc which is why we didn't get her to share.

Our house is technically a 4 bedroom but it has a theater room that we have used as an extra bedroom (has a proper door etc). We are lucky we have a massive house and generous yard so plenty of space for a big family so we arent living in each others pockets.

me + he = dd1 (July 2007), dd2 (July 2010), dd3 (August 2012), dd4 (due May 2014) + sil (1997)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have a 4bed house, one lounge and one dining room. We're preg with no. 4 so DD 4yr will share with 8month old and DS 5 will be in his own and so will the new baby. I think it depends on how well/heavy your children sleep. One of my SIL had 4under 6 in a 2 bed house, all four in together. But they all, once they were asleep, were good sleepers. My DS (5) is a very light sleeper - wakes up early and easily disturbed. I think storage space is also a consideration, fitting all their 'stuff'

Thanks
    Reviews
    4 kids here and at the moment they all have their own room. We have a two story home that is officially 4 bedrooms but we have a small room of our Bedroom that we are using for our youngest. He is 2 next month so will be soon moving to share a room with the 5 year old as the room is not big enough for a normal bed (It fits his Cot, Chest of draws and a chair in perfectly so has made a great Nursery)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When we had 4 kids we lived in a 3brm, the girls shared and the boys shared. That worked fine when they were young....but I couldn't imagine it working now they are older.
    We are now in a 5 brm house and the two teens have their own rooms, the middle two (b & g) share and the youngest has her own room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've got a 5 bedroom house and DP and I have 5 kids between us (blended family). 13yo DSS has his own room, 11yo DSS has his own, 2yo DD has her own and we just have the two 7 year old boys sharing.