+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    I don't know @Sonja, in France you can take more than 12 months off for parental leave with your job still waiting for you but most women only stopped for the duration of paid maternity leave.

I believe it comes down to availability/quality/affordability of childcare and mostly cultural inheritance.
    Possibly. When I lived in Melbourne childcare was a nightmare to get into with waiting lists in our area of over 2 years.

In my profession (law) an absence of more than 12 months was career death yet almost all of us took the 12 months. If my job had only been held for 9 months I would have gone back then.

My mother was a nurse when we were babies and worked nightshift so she went back much earlier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry if I offended anyone. Not all mining wages are over the 100k mark. And I do know of a woman with more than 7 kids collecting in excess of 3k a fortnight from the government.
    I agree ppl should be for 12 months and I also agree that the govt should provide more assistance to women who want to stay home. But I also believe everyone, regardless of income should have acess to it. The 75% of ur wage idea was the best I had heard yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kelbel86 View Post
    Sorry if I offended anyone. Not all mining wages are over the 100k mark. And I do know of a woman with more than 7 kids collecting in excess of 3k a fortnight from the government.
    I agree ppl should be for 12 months and I also agree that the govt should provide more assistance to women who want to stay home. But I also believe everyone, regardless of income should have acess to it. The 75% of ur wage idea was the best I had heard yet.
    That woman you know may be 'collecting' $75k per year however she also have SEVEN children to support. I earn $50k & can't afford a rental property and I have one child. $75k might seem a lot to get for not working but the reality isn't always as black & white.

Anyway, that's a bit off point.. I think that even 75% of your wage may work out too expensive. I guess I just don't see the value in putting bilions into increasing funding for something people will use a couple of times in their lives as opposed to higher childcare rebates or healthcare - things that people will constantly need in their lifetime for themselves and their children.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkyPies For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (30-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    But that's just it isn't it. At present paid parental leave is a pittance and as you say it's hard to afford to pay anything when ur bringing in no or very little income. For something that we may only use on average between one and three years of our lives is it really a huge cost.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess the problem here is, and we can all see it, that a ppl is only half the solution. We are talking about parental leave schemes. From a family perspective, we are looking at the benefit it provides to the child, the mother and the father individually and the family as a unit. From a government and industry perspective we are looking at the benefits and costs to the economy and to a productive workforce. These are long term benefits for short term cost, the same principle applies to any good investment.

The other parts of the solution have to be affordable quality childcare because the ccb is a joke, and/or more flexible work practices for both parents. There has to be a wholistic solution, not a cut and paste approach. $200 for Mon - Fri childcare for one child give or take really decreases the financial appeal, sometimes even eliminates it. For two or more children, it could quite possibly cost you to go to work.

The problem is, the government term is short, and the budget only stretches so far. Promises and plans are made for one term, maybe two, but because our two major parties don't want to see eye to eye and work together for everyone's long term benefit, it becomes very difficult to make any 10 - 20 year plans. If there is a medium-long term plan, to improve these other aspects, the libs are holding their cards close to their chest. That's a big IF, because the cuts to education etc, would make it seem otherwise.

Let's first see if Abbott gets his ppl in. If he overcomes that hurdle, maybe a change to the ccb will be the carrot for the voters at the next election.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I believe if PPL was paid at 75% of the woman full wage this should still be capped to $100k annual salary.

So if you earn $150k a year you'd still get the PPL but it would be based in the cap salary of $100k

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    I may have said this before on the hub but I just don't understand why the government doesn't set up some sort of subsidised self funded maternity leave.

Prospective parents could pay out of their pre tax income into a parental leave fund. This could be taxed not at all or at a lower rate like superannuation. The. When the time comes it can be used by either parent for whatever period (12-24 months whatever) and is not taxed again when paid.

People can pay in what they can afford in order to fund however long they want to be on leave and the lifestyle they want while on leave.

I know DH and I would have gladly paid into something like this. I was only on leave for 11 weeks and only received my 4 weeks annual leave that I had saved up. The rest was unpaid as I did not qualify for either baby bonus or PPL. DH had more time off than me partly with well times leave and he is in a government position so had paid leave available also.

I also agree with pp that paid leave is only part of the problem.

Edit - this should be in addition to a fully subsidised leave for low income earners.
    Great idea in theory but when I graduated uni and got my first full time job over 10 years ago the last thing on my mind was a self funded ppl account. A lot of families have this in a round about way anyway.
    We started saving about 6 months before ttc and obviously whilst pregnant. We are using that $$ now whilst I'm not earning an "income" aka unpaid maternity leave. As I am under the tax thresholds this year after deductions the tax that was set aside at the beginning of the financial year whilst working/ ppl will be fully refunded to me, therefore in theory no tax paid this year.

Edit- which is why I support the proposed scheme in its entirety.sorry for another I pay tax comment but please hear me out.
    had I been allocated 6 months at my rate of pay plus used holidays/ work ppl etc I would have contributed to society by paying tax to go towards hospitals, schools etc however even though I've earned an income this year, as I'm below thresholds ( by deductions and lower income) I won't be paying a cent, therefore in theory ( and you're going to have to trust me I've done the maths) the 18 weeks @ minimum wage has cost the government more than 6 months @ my rate of pay.
    Last edited by maternidade; 08-04-2014 at 18:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Great idea in theory but when I graduated uni and got my first full time job over 10 years ago the last thing on my mind was a self funded ppl account. A lot of families have this in a round about way anyway.
    We started saving about 6 months before ttc and obviously whilst pregnant. We are using that $$ now whilst I'm not earning an "income" aka unpaid maternity leave. As I am under the tax thresholds this year after deductions the tax that was set aside at the beginning of the financial year whilst working/ ppl will be fully refunded to me, therefore in theory no tax paid this year.

Edit- which is why I support the proposed scheme in its entirety.sorry for another I pay tax comment but please hear me out.
    had I been allocated 6 months at my rate of pay plus used holidays/ work ppl etc I would have contributed to society by paying tax to go towards hospitals, schools etc however even though I've earned an income this year, as I'm below thresholds ( by deductions and lower income) I won't be paying a cent, therefore in theory ( and you're going to have to trust me I've done the maths) the 18 weeks @ minimum wage has cost the government more than 6 months @ my rate of pay.
    Not sure if I'm understanding fully what you're saying so correct me if I wrong but if they are paying you say $2k per week, and taking $547 in tax, the tax they are receiving is still far less than the income they are providing you. Wouldn't that extra $1453 be in the governments pocket & therefore going to schools, roads etc anyway?

Not sure if I've read that wrong but it seems like you're saying if they pay you at your full wage they are getting more tax from you? They would have more if they weren't paying you or were paying you at a capped rate, no..?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have good deductions therefore at tax time it puts me under threshold as for most of the year we are living off savings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Therefore not income as such therefore whilst previously taxed not taxed now
    Edit - we will so spend a period of time on DH income only as we've cut down expenses
    Last edited by maternidade; 08-04-2014 at 19:26.