+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I was lucky after our first was born, hubby had 6 weeks off work. 2 weeks of it was his normal time off (he does FIFO), 10 days was paid carers leave (as I had a c section for medical reasons) and the rest he used holidays. It was lovely having him home for those first 6 weeks, especially as first time parents. Paternity leave for him would have been unpaid, and to be honest I was barely ready to go back to work after a year of maternity leave so don't think I would have been willing to go back any earlier so he could have time at home. That, plus the fact he was the main money earner and his wage was about 4 times what I earned, just didn't make it feasible.

2nd time round was different. The new parental leave scheme for dads was in place, but hubby earned just over the cut off for this. He had 3 weeks off (just his regular time off) which I was grateful for (as I know many don't even get that much time at home after babies are born) but I would have loved him to be home for longer as it was hard work adjusting to having 2 children. He didn't dare ask for any more time off though as they barely let him come home as it was (short staffed) and even rang him the day after our son was born (and I was still in hospital) and asked if he could come back to work (they knew I had just had a baby). They didn't seem to care, and continued to call him several times over the 3 weeks to try and get him back earlier. Hubby did out his foot down, but was 'punished' for it so to speak and even though he had organised to have Christmas off they changed all the rosters and made him work. Not sure if that's discrimination exactly, but I guess it shows that some employers wouldn't encourage paternity leave...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @summastarlet it's sounds like discrimination to me, as well as adverse action! Look it up on FWA if you want more info.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

LiterallyNoOne  (23-03-2014),summastarlet  (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Lili81 thought you would like this article.

Also address the difference between "welfare" and this scheme (as PPL is not welfare).

http://m.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/tony-abbotts-paid-parental-leave-scheme-will-give-families-a-break-20140313-34pel.html

I still believe this scheme is too expensive as it stands and think reducing the salary cap to $100k as per the Greens' proposal makes a lot of sense. Even three months full pay would still be a lot more than 18 weeks minimum wage for lots of people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree I think it is too expensive too.

A scheme for 6 months paid at 75% of your salary could be a good compromise (it is the equivalent of 4.5 mths at full salary).

The 100k cap makes sense as long as women over the cap still get the max amount as opposed to nothing like it is the case today.
    However it won't make a big difference to the overall cost of the new PPL scheme as a very small percentage of women are earning over $100k.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read all the replies

My opinion will probably be unpopular, but neither my husband nor I have any interest in him ever being the full time care provider. To me (and him), as the person who carried, gave birth to and breastfed my children, it is my priveledge to do the large percentage of raising them while my husband does the majority of work outside the home. I'm not saying this is how it should be for everyone, but for us it is what makes sense.

Unfortunately however, we cannot afford to live on his salary alone, and so here I am back at work 3 days per week when my bub is 10 months old. It sucks. I am still breastfeeding my bub, but pumping at work is not an option, so he is having formula at daycare and breastfed when I'm home. Far from optimal, but that's just the way it is unfortunately.

The World Health Organisation recommends breastfeeding exclusively for 6 months, then with solids till at least 12 months, then preferably continuing on till 2 years of age. Maternity leave for mum for 12 months so that this could happen would be wonderful I think.

I do think it's inevitable that a thread about paid leave will get many comments about breastfeeding, because that really is the main reason that mothers (as opposed to fathers) take 12 months away from work.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (08-04-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-04-2014),Serenity Love  (13-06-2014),VicPark  (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't agree with the cap at all. I earn over the 100k mark as a mining supervisor. I pay ridiculous amounts of tax and feel I should be able to claim thing like PPL when I decide to have kids. Don't get me wrong low income is entitled too but I don't agree with some that pop out copious amounts of kids and earn nearly the equivalent of a mining wage from the government for doing nothing and never being employed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please pretty please don't let this turn into one of THOSE threads!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (08-04-2014),Atropos  (08-04-2014),peanutmonkey  (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh dear... here we go...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Well it made it to page 6 before it started...gotta be some sort of a record!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (30-04-2014),kw123  (08-04-2014),OurLittleBlessing  (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is this in regards to my post? I was only typing my opinion. I'm no breastfeeding nazi I can tell you, would I be giving my bub formula if I was? I only brought feeding into my post because for me, that's the reason why I feel the need to stay home as opposed to my husband. I'm really not starting something, not interested in debating or pushing my agenda, it's not my style at all. I think maybe people are seeing something being started where it's not.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (08-04-2014),VicPark  (08-04-2014)