+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Wow. Resorting to period "jokes". Bit beneath you perhaps?

It's annoying when people are vocally against something without having any actual idea of how the proposal would work. Frankly I expect it of less intelligent people than you VP, so I'm perhaps more surprised.

And your response and "zip it" comment was fairly narky too. Bad night?
    I just don't get why you are so cranky that I don't understand how the funding will work. I have tried to read a bit but haven't had much luck. Perhaps I'm daft or just distracted by kids. Apologies anyway as my lack of understanding has obviously upset you. I am trying to understand.

I think the narkiness to my not understanding was over the top.. Hence the cranky pants joke . If you are offended by a period joke then what can I say but harden up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    The 1.5% levy would cover the net cost of the proposed PPL so no need for other money.

If PPL doesn't go through then the levy won't either.

I hope it clarifies.
    I'm still not getting it. At the same time the government is gaining money it is losing it via the 1.5% tax discount.
    No worries I don't expect you to spend any more time trying to explain it to this daft little rabbit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'm still not getting it. At the same time the government is gaining money it is losing it via the 1.5% tax discount.
    No worries I don't expect you to spend any more time trying to explain it to this daft little rabbit.
    There are just two different silos if you like.

The 1.5% cut in businesses tax will go through and that is partly why the coalition has less money to spend and is cutting funding to education and health.

That will happen whether the PPL goes through or not.

If PPL goes through though so does the levy as the levy will 100% fund the new scheme.

That is their plan anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    There are just two different silos if you like.

The 1.5% cut in businesses tax will go through and that is partly why the coalition has less money to spend and is cutting funding to education and health.

That will happen whether the PPL goes through or not.

If PPL goes through though so does the levy as the levy will 100% fund the new scheme.

That is their plan anyway.
    Hmmm. So essentially if the the ppl gets through it is in a sense being funded by cuts to education and health?
    Last edited by VicPark; 20-06-2014 at 12:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hmmm. So essentially if the the ppl gets through it is in a sense being funded by cuts to education and health?
    No.

If PPL gets through so does a 1.5% levy that will fully cover the PPL costs.
    It will have no impact whatsoever on any other funding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    No.

If PPL gets through so does a 1.5% levy that will fully cover the PPL costs.
    It will have no impact whatsoever on any other funding.
    I get that the 1.5% big business levy is being tied to the ppl scheme.

But Doesn't:

1.5% increase + 1.5% decrease = zero net gain?
    - In which case the extra money for ppl has to come from somewhere?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The 1.5% tax cut is happening regardless. It has nothing to do with PPL. So if PPL doesn't get through, the Govt still loses that 1.5% tax (although the decision to make the cut is to boost profitability).

If PPL goes through and the 1.5% levy imposed, that 1.5% pays for PPL and nothing else. Health, education, roads, etc nothing else comes into it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I get that the 1.5% big business levy is being tied to the ppl scheme.

But Doesn't:

1.5% increase + 1.5% decrease = zero net gain?
    - In which case the extra money for ppl has to come from somewhere?
    But there is no 1.5% increase without PPL.

So at the moment the budget is based on a company tax rate decrease of 1.5%. All spendings have been allocated with that assumption.

It's like saying that my employer has cut my salary by 1.5%. So I have reviewed my budgeted expenses.

However there is a program for my employer to provide me with training. If he approves of my study he will give me extra money to cover the costs.
    However if I don't train I won't get the extra money...

You're saying : "oh well your decrease in salary is covered by the extra money. So zero impact Frenchy, you can keep spending as per usual.
    However how are you going to afford for the training?!"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I think I get it. I get that the 'official' funding for the ppl is tied to the 1.5% big business levy That being said I think the 'official' source of the funding is very misleading... The government has taken from big business with one hand... Given it back to big/small business with the other ... This is an expensive program that in reality will likely be funded (yes in a round about way) by other measures (cuts to FTB/Austudy/CCB....?)
    Last edited by VicPark; 20-06-2014 at 19:10.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (21-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Here is what I found in term of cost

"The Coalition produced three figures for the scheme’s cost. There was a gross cost estimate; a net cost estimate, which subtracted the cost of the existing scheme, the cost of existing federal and state public sector schemes and adjustments to other payments such as family tax benefits; and there was a claimed net budget estimate after the imposition of a levy on large companies to pay for the scheme.

On this basis, the Coalition claimed the impact of the scheme would be a benefit to the budget in 2016-17 of $1.7 billion."

However lets move on.
    This discussion started to show how the PPL will have a positive impact on businesses' bottom line and therefore won't make them leave the country.

I honestly can say that I can't see any cons against the idea of a PPL - not necessarily in the coalitions scheme form though.