+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    So the EBA came for review and the unions agreed to have employer paid parental leave remove from the EBA? They agreed to lower benefits?
    Time to change union representatives!
    Agreed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    You've read the enterprise bargaining agreement and workplace contracts relating to all big businesses and their employees?
    "Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Agency (EOWA) research indicates that the provision of paid maternity leave within organisations with more than 100 employees, has risen from 23.7% in 2001, to 48.9% in 2007.8 That is, this has more than doubled in six years."

It's a moot point anyway since large business would be taxed a 1.5% income levy to fund PPL but at the same time have their tax rate reduced by 1.5%.
    Net impact nil.

And for the company that did provide employer based PPL it's even a saving since they will most likely cut their own scheme.

Any other con PPL?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

It's a moot point anyway since large business would be taxed a 1.5% income levy to fund PPL but at the same time have their tax rate reduced by 1.5%.
    Net impact nil.
    How is the government going to fund the scheme then? This does
    Not make sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So the EBA came for review and the unions agreed to have employer paid parental leave remove from the EBA? They agreed to lower benefits?
    Time to change union representatives!
    Luckily PPL was kept in our agreement when the review occurred except it's just funded / subsidised by the govt PPL now. Mine is a VERY male dominated industry and workplace, I'm with the union as I'm always highly suspicious something like this could easily slip under the radar and nobody would question it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How is the government going to fund the scheme then? This does
    Not make sense.
    Have you not read anything previously about the proposal to find the scheme? This is why it drives me nuts when people say eek don't pay high earners their replacement wage - it could go to education instead. It's not coming from the general "pool" - it will be funded by a specific tax.

Wish people would try and obtain some basic facts before saying that something that would benefit working women shouldn't happen.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

maternidade  (20-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Have you not read anything previously about the proposal to find the scheme? This is why it drives me nuts when people say eek don't pay high earners their replacement wage - it could go to education instead. It's not coming from the general "pool" - it will be funded by a specific tax.

Wish people would try and obtain some basic facts before saying that something that would benefit working women shouldn't happen.
    I was confused as Frenchy said it would be funded by a 1.5% tax on big business but then the big business would be given a 1.5% tax discount.
    I have lost track of the thousands of pages on this thread and nope I'm not going to go back and read every page.

So either clarify the confusion or zip it and move on!-

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Meld85  (21-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I was confused as Frenchy said it would be funded by a 1.5% tax on big business but then the big business would be given a 1.5% tax discount.
    I have lost track of the thousands of pages on this thread and nope I'm not going to go back and read every page.

Or perhaps don't comment if you don't know how it's going to work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I would say the onus is on you to zip it if you don't know the facts, rather than on me to clarify things for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    To be fair I can't work out how they are funding this either and I have read this thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Big business is going to get a 1.5% tax cut. I believe that is happening regardless. They will then be taxed the 1.5% PPL levy so, sadly for them, they will be out of pocket the same amount.

To a certain degree it's semantics I agree though. It's still tax dollars so comes from the general pool. But if they weren't charged the levy then the country's purse would still get less corporate tax than it currently does.

There is no such thing as free money. But that money wouldn't go to health and education if not to PPL (which is often the public sentiment).