+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ZAK View Post
    Well, I didn't say that, you are twisting my words. I am huge on fathers playing an important role in their children's life. Reread please.

Am I in favour of closing daycare facilities for children under two? Yes, actually.

There is family day care, and you still can work.

This is MY opinion, and we have had different life experiences which is why both of our opinions are valid.

I'm off, as I'm not really that keen on debating.
    Not suprised you ran away after that ridiculous statement. (isnt that called trolling?)

My experience has also been that childcare has been excellent for my children and I would not personally send them to family daycare for a multitude of reasons, although I recognise there are many positives to family daycare too and many good carers. But for our family a community childcare centre has been the perfect fit. I highly doubt there would be enough FDC places, and who exactly would do it, people with young kids couldnt as they would instead be being paid not to work for 3 years

But back to your original statement, if I were paid at 'base rate' to stay at home with my kids for 3 entire years and there was no childcare, I would be likely to have a few more, probably one every 3 years. After all its not likely I could find a job to go back to after a break that long (or only 3 years for that matter) . Not sure how the economy would cope with all of this though? Imagine how society would change, would women even bother to go to uni or tafe if they were planning to have children? Would people who cant get a job decide to just get pregnant? What about the rates of PND (I know many, many mums of under 3s who went back to work because they NEEDED it for their mental health). What about the rates of relationship breakup as the men resent the women for 'doing nothing' (I dont agree with that obviously but its a very very common thing I hear SAHM talk of) and the divide between the sexes becomes massive? And what about multiple births, do they get 6 or 9 years paid?

I just dont see how it could possibly work. Im all for PPL but 3 years per child is a very long time. How would it be funded. And assuming that it needs to be the mother is archaic. Sure you said it didnt have to be but overall that will be the way society heads, making it harder and harder for Dads to get involved with their children. Its hard enough for Dads as it is! And why does there even have to be 1 primary carer? DH and I split our parental leave equally for all our kids and he did just great
    Last edited by soccer mum; 14-06-2014 at 08:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I agree I don't get why they'd want to override private arrangement but they said they would. And yes that includes EBAs.

"As reported in our August 2013 update, the Federal Government is proposing to displace existing paid parental leave awards, agreements and company policies in favour of its own national scheme.

The purpose of the new policy is to prevent employees from "double-dipping" into both the Government's paid parental leave scheme and their own employer's arrangements. Relevantly, the Abbott Government plans to exercise its social welfare power, under section 51 (xxiiiA) of the Constitution, to override all such employer arrangements to achieve this goal."

Gee, good thing I am pregnant now, as I mentioned I already get 26 weeks paid from my employer plus the government 18 weeks, so I'd basically lose any government PPL as it would just replace what I already get.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    Gee, good thing I am pregnant now, as I mentioned I already get 26 weeks paid from my employer plus the government 18 weeks, so I'd basically lose any government PPL as it would just replace what I already get.
    yes you'd lose that and the continuity of service too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm no fan of the herald sun by this piece of opinion is just awesome!!

Please read

"Debate the cost but don’t question the value of paid parental leave"
    http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/opini...-1226957927437

PS @kw123 I think you may have a pm inbox issue

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

babyla  (19-06-2014),btmacxxx  (19-06-2014),kw123  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Please read

Love it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Fantastic article!

This para is relevant to BH I think...

It is often said that women can be their own worst enemies and the paid parental leave issue has proved particularly so, unleashing a type of class warfare among high- and low-income women.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (19-06-2014),Fashionvictim  (19-06-2014),NancyBlackett  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Please read

Great read thanks! Can't stand the herald sun but for this piece!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great piece. Thanks for sharing - I wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Fantastic article!

This para is relevant to BH I think...

It is often said that women can be their own worst enemies and the paid parental leave issue has proved particularly so, unleashing a type of class warfare among high- and low-income women.
    We are on an above avg income and I believe that PPL should be based on minimum wage. It feels like it IS setting up class divide to fund a double income lifestyle.

Ie when buying a house/making commitments I think it's foolhardy to base it on a double income if you wish to have kids/family. I have friends who foolishly committed to a high mortgage and now planning kids are worried about a loss of income so my friend is thinking about returning to work 4mths after bub is born FT. I think it's ridiculous to expect the rest of us to fork over tax dollars intended for health and education to PPL because couples like that have high expectations of their lifestyle.

I know we are planning a third late next year and we are both saving our butts off now to fund my 1-2 yrs home after bub #3 is here. Parents on this forum often get slammed for expecting the school kids bonus etc and get told that if you want kids that they should fund it themselves. You can't have it both ways.

I fail to see why the govt/taxpayers should fund anything more than minimum wage for PPL but I do support it extended to 6mths.

Will explain later as my kids are demanding more pancakes.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

bluehawaii  (11-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Confused about your comment about tax dollars intended for health and education? I'm pretty sure we don't get a say where "our" tax dollars go. I am happy for mine to go to health, education, a host of welfare benefits, and also PPL.

Replacement wage is about maintaining financial status quo for women who have to take time off to have a baby. Minimum wage doesn't pay the bills for the majority of people. And the Govt does not want us all living "lifestyles" that it would. Let's not forget that this not really about the Govt doing the "right thing" for women. It's about what makes best financial sense for the country.

I know most people can't grasp the concept that spending money makes money by increasing female participation in the workforce but it's economic fact and not up for opinion.

It will be paid for by big business. The notion that schools and hospitals will have money stripped from them and put into the pockets of those pesky high income females is ludicrous.

Anyway this is what the article was talking about... The divisive tone between women. So may as well just forget it and see what happens.

I for one would be happy with 26 weeks minimum wage plus super as I also get 16 weeks from my employer. But it's not just about me. I want women who work at places without PPL schemes to have the same benefits I do.

The sooner it becomes co-funded by businesses (yes including small business) and the Govt the better.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (19-06-2014),ExcuseMyFrench  (19-06-2014),Fashionvictim  (19-06-2014),MsViking  (19-06-2014),NancyBlackett  (19-06-2014)