+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes I believe all Australian employees should get the same basic rights in terms of paid parental leave and that it should be a minimum of 75% of their salary + super for 4-6 months.

Whether you increase employee benefits or you create a tax on large companies or something else to fund it is irrelevant.

We should all be equal against maternity leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    @Lili81 in France do women generally retune to work full time or part time? The reason I ask is because in Scandinavian countries (which are often held up as the bench mark for maternity leave conditions) the majority return full time. Just curious about your understanding.

I think maternity leave needs to be improved but to me it's part of a wider understanding of how women work once they have kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I think it's hypocritical of you to say people should save up but then complain you have to reduce your mortgage because you're relying on ppl.

My my day is fine, thanks
    Thanks for responding... I don't think people should just 'save' for their mat leave... I think they should organise themselves to prepare for it so that they do not have to rely on top-ups to the current 18 week minimum wage ppl (including but not limited to saving, having a kid when you are financially stable etc). On your second point I wasn't reducing my mortgage because I was relying on ppl. Well not directly.

I prepared by: choosing a mortgage which allowed for reduced payments when kids came along; having kids when I was financially stable (had a career etc); waiting until I had some other leave saved up my sleeve that would help (annual, long service etc).

When I was early pregnant I sat down and looked at my leave balances and finances to figure out how much time I could have off. I tweaked a few things in my budget (mortgage) so I could stay home longer. I am on half pay for my entire time off (Mat, annual, Lsl). I planned to top up the first 6 months with ppl and the second 6 months with reducing my mortgage. My plan came unstuck when the centrelink lady told me there was a huge whopping wait on ppl being processed. So I had to move forward the mortgage payment reduction plan from the last part of my leave to the first part.

I hope this clarifies things...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm Finding this thread quite informative & seeing both sides of the equation. (Keeping my opinions to myself on this one)

Out of curiosity did any one here have kids before ANY type of PPL or baby bonus scheme came in? I did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    Sorry, I haven't read the entire thread, but do you mean you get 14 weeks from your employer and 18 weeks from govt, but your friend doesn't get anything from their employer, but gets the 18 months get pay too.

if that's what you mean, is that fair? Not really, but employers don't have to pay maternity leave. Should every employer have to? I'm not sure of the wider impacts of this, so I can't comment.
    Some employers offer xyz as a benefit some offer abc. Is it fair one employer offers 6 weeks annual leave and another 4, or some offer bonuses and others not

Thanks
    Reviews
    And when my ex & I divorced I was later diagnosed with having had a mental breakdown but had signed away all my rights to a share of his super & our properties. Bit complaining - my fault for marrying him! But am just saying relying on husbands or ex's super is not always fool proof.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Sonja all my friends went back full time when bub was 3-4 mo.
    Most thought it was too early and were very envious of me going back when bub was 6mo.

Not one of them would dream of working part time though - not before having 2 or 3 anyway.

But childcare and school hours are pretty aligned with business hours too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    @Sonja all my friends went back full time when bub was 3-4 mo.
    Most thought it was too early and were very envious of me going back when bub was 6mo.

Not one of them would dream of working part time though - not before having 2 or 3 anyway.

But childcare and school hours are pretty aligned with business hours too.
    I think it's all relevant to the conversation. 6 months paid maternity leave costs company's a fortune but some do offer that. Many universities have generous packages. It's far more achievable when women return earlier and full time. But there was no way on earth I would ever go back to working full time in major law firm. The hours are horrendous and so not family friendly.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    Yes I believe all Australian employees should get the same basic rights in terms of paid parental leave and that it should be a minimum of 75% of their salary + super for 4-6 months.

Whether you increase employee benefits or you create a tax on large companies or something else to fund it is irrelevant.

We should all be equal against maternity leave.
    s you you mean overall if a parent is employed or not and regardless of what they earn, everyone should end up with the exact same benefits (with regard to amount of time off and amount of money they receive?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    s you you mean overall if a parent is employed or not and regardless of what they earn, everyone should end up with the exact same benefits (with regard to amount of time off and amount of money they receive?
    No I mean everyone should have the same number of weeks paid at their salary (or portion of) regardless of their employers.

If you are not employed you don't get sick leave, long service leave, annual leave or maternity leave.