+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm surprised at the lack of answers. I hope it's not due to lack of interest!!!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

kw123  (21-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would talk about it with you but we basically agree so it wouldn't be a very interesting discussion!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (21-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I found both articles very interesting. It was slightly depressing though - it sounds like an awesome country to live and raise children in.

I have to say I am very lucky to work for an employer that values their women and hence we have excellent maternity leave entitlements. My employer also supports breastfeeding at work Unfortunately the same can't be said for male employees wanting to take parental leave. It's nowhere near equal in anyway. It's more generous than the majority of those in other Australian businesses though.

I think Australia has taken some great first steps in regards to paid parental leave but there's so much room for improvement.

Something really needs to be done about the high costs of child care. It's outrageous. I'm a moderately skilled worker, I've worked in the same field for 10+ years. But I'm a SAHM (on extended mat leave), mainly because I would only return to my position part time. By the time I pay for childcare, petrol, work lunches i barely make enough to make it worthwhile, even with the current rebates etc. if only I had a grandparent to babysit for some of the days - then it would be worth working.

I also agree that Australia is behind the times in regards to working from home. There's no way my employer would allow me to do it - some positions they do. But DP should be able to do it at least 1 day a week but last time he asked it wasn't something they were willing to allow. So old fashioned!
    Last edited by Taiyed; 21-03-2014 at 16:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't see this topic until now. I am very passionate and very pro maternity leave. I haven't read the articles yet so I'll come back later

Thanks
    Reviews
    I forgot to say that DP would love to take some leave when our next bub arrives but alas it won't happen. He'll take a few weeks off but that's it. It comes down to a lack of entitlements and the fact that he's paid more than me. We need his income to survive. The current dads paid leave at minimum wage for 2 weeks just ain't going to cut it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiyed View Post
    I forgot to say that DP would love to take some leave when our next bub arrives but alas it won't happen. He'll take a few weeks off but that's it. It comes down to a lack of entitlements and the fact that he's paid more than me. We need his income to survive. The current dads paid leave at minimum wage for 2 weeks just ain't going to cut it.
    Fathers can take paid parental leave too, including (and probably more relevantly) employer paid leave schemes, as long as it's taken with 12 months of the birth of the child.

Which is why my plan of me having six months (4 months full pay from employer and then Govt PPL for the remainder) and then DH having three months parental leave (full pay from his employer) is a brilliant one! Legally he can do it, culturally be feels he can't

Thanks
    Reviews
    @kw123 Oh yeah I see what you mean. Unfortunately my DP & I won't get the paid parental leave this time as I won't meet the work requirements. I should have been more clear, my bad.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Taiyed For This Useful Post:

kw123  (21-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a shame our DPs don't feel like they can take the leave. Hopefully it's something that becomes the norm soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes fathers can take the paid parental leave from their employers too - in my company it's 14wks paid at your salary - provided they are the main carer ie mum went back to work.

and that's when us women are our own worst enemies - it's very rare that we agree to return to work 3 months earlier for the fathers to be able to use their paid parental leave.
    I personally don't think it's fair on anyone (the mother, the father or the baby) but I hope the culture will change overtime and women will make room for men to become full time carers too in the first year of bubs life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a case of men not actually wanting to do it in reality (for the most part), rather than women stopping them! Or at least a mix of the two.

Although of course some women wouldn't want to go back to work and let the man be the primary carer, especially before 12 months.

But for those that do (like me), even a man who actually wants to do it, feels like he can't. And he is not BSing - I understand his concerns. He is a high paid professional who works long hours in a male dominated industry. Not easy!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

sunnymummy  (02-05-2014)