+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There are about 34 OECD countries, 33 of which have PPL schemes.

Of all if those, Australia is only one of two that fails to pay leave based on a replacement wage.

I think that speaks for itself.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (01-05-2014),Fashionvictim  (13-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just an FYI here. I have worked for four large miners and none have offered paid maternity leave. I now work in my family business, a small mining contractor an don't get paid maternity leave. I don't think it's fair to assume that just cos ppl have earned the higher wage that they will have any financial support when they go on leave from their respective company. Many of us have to rely on partners wages because our income for the previous year makes us in eligible for any benefits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Why is a woman suddenly worth less when she takes leave to have a child?

It's fine for annual leave to be paid at salary.

It's fine for long service leave to be paid at salary.

The second you take leave to have a child it's back to minimum wage.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (30-04-2014),btmacxxx  (01-05-2014),DJ Nette  (30-04-2014),Ellewood  (01-05-2014),kw123  (30-04-2014),maternidade  (30-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree whole heatedly with you there!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Forget about the 26 weeks for a minute.

The matter is that maternity leave should subsidize for the women income for the time that she HAS to take off work (you know the whole giving birth drama). Super contributions should be made too.

One can argue that it should only be 75% of her salary. And capped at a certain level. But yes it needs to be indexed on her salary - not a flat rate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I sit on the fence on this one. I see it from the point of a higher earning woman has paid more tax and therefore should get a higher PPL during her time of 'need' as such (I am saying this as a low paid part time worker)

But I also see VPs POV that it is a lot of money to pay for something that essentially is a lifestyle choice. Especially with infrastructure and education and hospitals in such dire need.

I also understand from an economic point of view that women who have the pay will spend more money/budget less and this will keep the economy growing...so there's that

Like I said fence sitter...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I've got a better idea. If women don't want to rely on anyone but themselves then don't take extended periods of leave from paid employment after having a kid. That will reduce the gender and super gaps.
    Weren't you complaining about how long it took for your ppl to come through? I believe you started a thread on it.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Mum2b87  (30-04-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Weren't you complaining about how long it took for your ppl to come through? I believe you started a thread on it.
    And also saying you had to reduce your mortgage to cover your costs while you waited for it to come through?

Perhaps you should've bought a smaller house in a cheaper suburb!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Mum2b87  (30-04-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    Forget about the 26 weeks for a minute.

The matter is that maternity leave should subsidize for the women income for the time that she HAS to take off work (you know the whole giving birth drama). Super contributions should be made too.
    I agree but giving birth really doesn't take that long. Including recovery say 6 weeks worse case if having a c-section. A whole lot less for a standard no issue natural birth...

Do you think the time should be cut dramatically but the pay increased??? Sorry not challenging you genuine question....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I've got a better idea. If women don't want to rely on anyone but themselves then don't take extended periods of leave from paid employment after having a kid. That will reduce the gender and super gaps.
    So you actually agree with me
    I'm saying that we should get our super contributions paid while on 18 weeks on PPL. I never mentioned an extended leave.

In my home country, where we don't believe that a women's place is at home and happy to support each other through tax, the more babies you had the earlier one can access their defined benefit pension.

Oh also childcare and school are free.

Oh also you get your full salary for 4-6 months on maternity leave.

Oh also you get paid to be a SAHM.

You'd think that most people have 5 kids family hey?!

Still kicking hubby to go back there lol