+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Hell yeah. If 26 weeks was around I would have claimed that too. However if there was a referendum on 26 weeks I would vote no, even if I knew I was having another kid. 18 weeks minimum wage I would vote yes.
    So you claimed it but would rather stand on your high horse and say no other women should be able too now? Riiight

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    I disagree with this attitude.

If it isn't necessary, then why do so many women do it??

It so happens that many women do feel it's very important to be at home in their children's early years. Some don't, but many do, and it has always been that way. Why, why is it always women who have to change their intrinsic values, change their priorities to fit into what many would argue is a mans world? We already sacrifice so much to have children, including income, but that doesn't mean women should miss out simply because they rate being available to their babies in those early years higher than going back to work to earn as many $$ as they can.

The way the system currently is suits men to a tee, but not women. We need to change this.
    I think in most cases it is a lifestyle want and not a need. I agree stay at home parents have a tough gig and most do a great job.... I just don't think people should get paid $$ when they aren't generating an income.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2b87 View Post
    So you claimed it but would rather stand on your high horse and say no other women should be able too now? Riiight
    Huh? I claimed 18 weeks ppl and would vote yes in a referendum on continuing the program. I would vote against 26 weeks knowing I could be a beneficiary. However if I got out-voted I would claim it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    . Deleted just not worth it
    Last edited by Mum2b87; 30-04-2014 at 20:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2b87 View Post
    That's the way I understood it too Nancy. So you would get 50k which is much better than my 25k.. P.S the $800 tax has been scrapped anyway
    Hang on... Don't try throw in my face I'd get double yours.... I work bloody hard to earn over the $100k I spend a lot of time travelling away from home and do 12-14 hour days without breaks and can be up to 7 days a week.....
    I also support a family already so the extra I earn is needed.... I am happy not to receive the extra but to turn around and have someone pull the.... Well u will get more than me so be happy what u get.... Does not sit well with me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't throw it in your face I was merely pointing out that you would not be worse off than now! I don't care how much you earn to be honest the whole 25 to 50 k divide is one of my sticking points with the PPL it should be a flat rate as it is now with the minimum wage. Everyone works hard for their pay I'm not saying you don't in the slightest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I think in most cases it is a lifestyle want and not a need. I agree stay at home parents have a tough gig and most do a great job.... I just don't think people should get paid $$ when they aren't generating an income.
    Disagree. Who wouldn't rather have more money? A lot of women feel they can't return to work (full-time) too soon and put their young babies in full-time daycare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't understand the flat rate mentality. Do we all get a flat rate for annual leave? Parental leave is about maintaining the financial status quo so people can continue to meet their usual financial obligations but be able to take time off to have a baby (for set a period of time of course).

Anyway I don't know why I bother... People on this forum don't generally seem to grasp that concept.

Parental leave in other OECD countries is based on your usual wage. Do you really think they're all getting it wrong or all think that some people are more deserving of money than others? Nope.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (01-05-2014),grooviechic35  (30-04-2014),maternidade  (30-04-2014),NancyBlackett  (30-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lili. No I get nothing from my employer. I can only rely on my husbands income

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I don't understand the flat rate mentality. Do we all get a flat rate for annual leave? Parental leave is about maintaining the financial status quo so people can continue to meet their usual financial obligations but be able to take time off to have a baby (for set a period of time of course).

Anyway I don't know why I bother... People on this forum don't generally seem to grasp that concept.

Parental leave in other OECD countries is based on your usual wage. Do you really think they're all getting it wrong or all think that some people are more deserving of money than others? Nope.
    I get the concept I just don't agree with it. There's a big difference between getting your usual pay for 4ish weeks of recharge-your-batteries leave per year... And getting your usual pay for 26 weeks while you are not generating an income for your employer... someone else has to pay for that. I think a flat minimum rate for extended ppl is fair. If people want to maintain the status quo when having a baby they can:
    1) not take extended leave
    2) use contraception until such a time as they are financially stable and have enough $$ in the bank to top up a flat rate minimum wage ppl.