+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Extended time off is good but it isn't necessary. If you chose that way, you chose the consequences.
    I disagree with this attitude.

If it isn't necessary, then why do so many women do it??

It so happens that many women do feel it's very important to be at home in their children's early years. Some don't, but many do, and it has always been that way. Why, why is it always women who have to change their intrinsic values, change their priorities to fit into what many would argue is a mans world? We already sacrifice so much to have children, including income, but that doesn't mean women should miss out simply because they rate being available to their babies in those early years higher than going back to work to earn as many $$ as they can.

The way the system currently is suits men to a tee, but not women. We need to change this.
    Last edited by Ellewood; 30-04-2014 at 20:30.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2b87 View Post
    If the new PPL went through you would be better off then as you would get 50k as opposed to nothing from your employer
    No as I'm over the capped amount
    The new capped amount is $100k.... So I pay the extra $800, and still get no ppl if I chose to have more children.... How is that not worse off

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Isn't it being funded by a levy on companies with a turnover above $5m? That levy is the same as the scheduled reduction in company tax so it will be effectively cost neutral?

I'm not sure about whether existing employer schemes can run in conjunction with it or to supplement it. I would assume there would have to be some allowance - it would be a tad ridiculous to force a company to make an employee worse off. In the same way it would have been ridiculous to force them to adopt only the minimum wage scheme and not allow them to pay employees at the usual wage when on maternity leave.

I read a stat somewhere that said approximately 50% of women in the workforce have access to an employer funded maternity leave scheme. I can't recall where I read it but I suspect it is googleable. The Parliamentary Library is usually a pretty good source for stats on these things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grooviechic35 View Post
    Isn't it if you earn over the capped amount you are eligible for the maximum amount under the cap?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You'll still get up to the cap. That's better than nothing or minimum wage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    You'll still get up to the cap. That's better than nothing or minimum wage.
    I was to understand if u r over u get zip

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was to understand if u r over u get zip
    Nope. You get paid up to the cap if you earn over it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The new capped amount is $100k.... So I pay the extra $800, and still get no ppl if I chose to have more children.... How is that not worse off
    I think you are misunderstanding. It's not a threshold it's a cap.

Anyone who earns over $100k would get $50K under the new scheme. That includes you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    But you claimed it though, right?
    Hell yeah. If 26 weeks was around I would have claimed that too. However if there was a referendum on 26 weeks I would vote no, even if I knew I was having another kid. 18 weeks minimum wage I would vote yes.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Kellbell85  (30-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's the way I understood it too Nancy. So you would get 50k which is much better than my 25k.. P.S the $800 tax has been scrapped anyway