+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How long does it take?

DD is 5 months old this Friday and a very needy child. She wakes up happy and cheery but by the time she gets a nappy change and we walk downstairs as soon as I put her down she is whingy. She's not in pain, wet or hungry she just demands my attention 24/7.
    She (if I'm lucky) will have 3-4 30 min naps during the day and if I'm super lucky I might get 15-20 mins to do something other than amuse her with her being entertained on the floor "gym".

I'd really kill to be able to eat one meal without her whinging, take one shower without her whinging (you get the drift).
    She has toys on the bouncer to amuse her (even if she is insight of me she still whinges to be picked up) she has toys on the mat to play with.....
    I imagine if she slept better she maybe less whingy but she won't so then she is whingy because she is tired....

She does have the odd happy moment but literally on a daily basis it 85% whingy 15% happy..... Think my dad has seen her happy once.... In 5 months...

Is it a personality type? Is it something she will grow out of?
    I'm so tired from still feeding 3-4 hourly overnight the constant whinging is driving me crazy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DD has just turned 10 - I'll let you know when the neediness ceases...

((hugs)) - Some kids are simply like this and there's no magic age or number that it stops - it just changes as they grow older. You'll prolly find some relief once she's up and walking, that being said it might just mean she follows you everywhere quicker instead of you carrying her every where.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ugh it's the worst isn't it. My DS was like that, I used to just walk and talk to him in the pram, sometimes for 2hrs cause he'd fall asleep and I'd be petrified to stop in case he woke. I used to walk to the supermarket, I'd split my shopping list each day and only get what would fit under the pram. We'd wander around whatever shopping centre I could will myself to drive too, endless baths, lots of breastfeeding (he fed every 2 hrs) and lots of singing (until he got old enough to tell me to stop haha).

He's 7 and still quite needy and unable to amuse himself

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    DD has just turned 10 - I'll let you know when the neediness ceases...

((hugs)) - Some kids are simply like this and there's no magic age or number that it stops - it just changes as they grow older. You'll prolly find some relief once she's up and walking, that being said it might just mean she follows you everywhere quicker instead of you carrying her every where.
    LOL at least you gave me a laugh for the day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    Ugh it's the worst isn't it. My DS was like that, I used to just walk and talk to him in the pram, sometimes for 2hrs cause he'd fall asleep and I'd be petrified to stop in case he woke. I used to walk to the supermarket, I'd split my shopping list each day and only get what would fit under the pram. We'd wander around whatever shopping centre I could will myself to drive too, endless baths, lots of breastfeeding (he fed every 2 hrs) and lots of singing (until he got old enough to tell me to stop haha).

He's 7 and still quite needy and unable to amuse himself
    Yep this is me, today we drove around for about an hour (the drive home was 20mins) as she had fallen asleep and i
    wanted her to stay that way.
    She was feeding every two hours until recently, thank goodness that is down to 3-4hourly now.

I was hoping it wasn't personality... Oh well, just like her father then I guess...
    😒

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    My DS1 was like this...he didn't sleep. At all. It was hell. I used to be so tired I'd drive around til he fell asleep then park my car under a tree in a park carpark and nap myself as well.

The whinging did die down once he was walking at about 7 months, then he started napping during the day in his toddler bed at 14 months (he started climbing out of his cot before he turned 1)

Honestly he is obviously easier to deal with now he is almost 6 but he is a full on, high maintenance kid that's for sure. He slept through the night at 2.5 and he finally entertains himself now

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Argh this is my daughter. She drives me mad with her whinging. She has always been a screamer/whinger. She is now 22 months and still going strong with the whinging. I am working on ignoring it now (but not sure if that is a good idea with such a small baby though). Like the above post said it does somewhat get easier when they can move around on their own but it certainly hasn't stopped her. Once she got older she took longer naps. She is a happy kid now but still not happy to do things that slow her down or that she hasn't instigated or in the mood for. I put it down to 'high need baby'. Even though I hate labels, Dr sears made me feel a little bit reassured. Sorry, probably not what you were after. People told me it would stop once she was walking and it hasn't. Rahh! 😉. I guess we can only hope it disappears by the time they can talk properly and we can explain whinging isn't appropriate!