+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riss78 View Post
    Chicken foot- my last school in Sydney was exactly the same. My current school in Melbourne doesn't but we offer external programs for those that qualify. Parents have to pay for them though. Both are public schools.
    Is the external program called Gateways? I noticed our local (public) primary school has something called this. Is it a one-afternoon-per-week thing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah that's it's lemonpancakes. Plus there is an in school one called Wiseones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was considered gifted. Now that I'm a teacher and mum I'm not so sure. I could read and write before going to school. School work came very easily to me. High school too. But I think to be gifted, the gift has to be exceptional. I think I was (and hopefully still am, but I have my doubts!) very bright and a natural with literacy. Not gifted. Anyway, there were no gifted and talented programs when I was at school. Just lots of A+'s on report cards lol.

DS is very bright. He's working well beyond year level in all areas. I don't think he's gifted. Just very bright.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I believe my nephew is gifted. He has always had very good memory since he was a toddler, when we played the game Articulate he knew (at age 8ish) the meaning or words etc that the adults playing didn't know, and the way he played the game was more intelligent than most adults playing.

He's now applying for scholarships for year 7 (already offered one) and has been told his results were excellent and if he could replicate results from those exams to selective exams he could probably get into the top selective schools.

He's also super sensitive, and also fears taking 'risks' because he over thinks the situation e.g. swimming.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Myself and 2 of my brothers were considered "gifted" children.
    We all read early, and had reading ages 4+ yrs above our actual ages. We found school easy, did well in extracurricular activities, had exceptional memories for facts and figures, etc.
    I was put into a G&T program when I started high school, but I got distracted with the social life of high school and ended up getting pretty average results.
    My youngest brother skipped a yr of high school and had done several uni subject before he graduated.
    My DD is in year 1, and is doing really well at school, she's very bright, but I'm not sure she's necessarily gifted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure if someone has written this already. Sometimes the 'gifted' term is always thrown around in regards to a child's academic progress. While this is totally true and great... But, I must say that I love when there are kids that show the ability from a young age to think outside the box, challenge norms and demonstrate great social skills as 'gifted'.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rookiemum For This Useful Post:

Jarylee  (21-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm always skeptical of labels like "gifted" and IQ tests. I was exceptional at drawing, reading (could read by 4) and sport (national level at a athletics and various teams sports) but a terrible student. I got average marks all through school and am really not that academic at all, it just doesn't interest me in the slightest.

I remember having an IQ test at about 10 yrs and scoring really high and mum being told I was gifted (and talented because I was also exceptional at art and sport). I have had a few IQ tests over the years and always score high. I'm still not sure how it works... I know I'm good at puzzles, patterns and problem solving (which is what a lot of IQ tests are about) but I barely know my times tables and can't spell for quids..?? How can a test decide that recognising patterns makes you "gifted" but knowing your times tables or being able to spell well isn't?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Giftedness isn't just about being smart! It's a way of thinking, different perceptions, heightened senses and emotions, over excitabilties etc. You need to truly understand what giftedness brings other than intellect. It's difficult for the child & us as parents. Because their mind is so advanced it can bring extreme anxieties. They think much more in depth to your average child and it can be quite overwhelming! So there's a differenex between being gifted and smart.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarylee View Post
    Giftedness isn't just about being smart! It's a way of thinking, different perceptions, heightened senses and emotions, over excitabilties etc. You need to truly understand what giftedness brings other than intellect. It's difficult for the child & us as parents. Because their mind is so advanced it can bring extreme anxieties. They think much more in depth to your average child and it can be quite overwhelming! So there's a differenex between being gifted and smart.
    The bolded part in your post rings very true for me. My sister has had a pretty tough life, and my mum an equally tough time getting her through school etc, and sometimes even just keeping her alive (there were some very dark periods for all of us). My mum had me assessed by the CHIP Foundation when my sister was in their programs, and she felt nothing but relief to find out I was completely and utterly average! Being 'gifted' sometimes isn't such a gift.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We always knew DD was smart as she knew her numbers and alphabet by 2 and was reading and writing not long after. It wasn't until she started school did we wonder if she was gifted in prep the teacher was curious and gave her year 2 work and she breezed right through it. When she was 8 she had a meltdown about naplan because as a result of her always getting A's she always seeks perfection and anything less is not acceptable to her and her teacher at the time put a lot of pressure on her about the results. Anyway due to her meltdown we took her to talk to someone so she could understand things don't need to be perfect and after talking to her the therapist got her to do some tests and told us she was gifted. While she has a brilliant memory (remembers stuff from 10 months old), maths, language, science and pretty much anything else academically she struggles with social situations and has trouble making friends and also pushes herself to hard to be perfect and no matter how many times we tell her she only has to try her hardest she won't accept anything less then a A grade.