+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riss78 View Post
    Hi ladies, at my school we have a program for students who are deemed gifted and talented.
    We use this list to identify g&t children as well as using their academic results as well are their IQ testing results.
    Hope this helps.

Silverman (2003) summarising her work with gifted children suggests that if a child demonstrates more than three-quarters of the following traits, it is likely that he or she is gifted:
    • good problem solving/reasoning abilities
    • rapid learning ability
    • extensive vocabulary
    • excellent memory
    • long attention span
    • personal sensitivity
    • compassion for others
    • perfectionism
    • intensity
    • moral sensitivity
    • unusual curiosity
    • persevering when interested
    • high degree of energy
    • preference for older companions
    • wide range of interests
    • great sense of humour
    • early or avid reading ability
    • concerned with justice, fairness
    • at times, judgment seems mature for age
    • keen powers of observation
    • vivid imagination
    • high degree of creativity
    • tends to question authority
    • shows ability with numbers
    • good at visual puzzles
    • highly talented in one or more areas
    We had the kids IQ assess for different reasons (wasnt trying to establish giftedness). Turns out they both are but with a lot of "symptoms" above - DD also has been diagnosed with Aspergers and ADHD and DS has anxiety. (All common "conditions" in gifted kids) Getting the IQ done actually answered a load of questions and allowed us to work with the school to target their educational needs. Our school has a gifted program and provides in class accommodations. A clinical pyschologist conducted the IQ test.

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    At what age is IQ generally assessed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do only private schools have gifted programs or do state schools run the too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    It depends on where you live. My town does for high but not so much for primary

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is ahead of his peers. It started to show at about 2 and a half when he knew his alphabet and sounds of the letters. He could read early readers at 3. He did puzzles really quickly. Could count easily by 4 (to 1000 type counting as in he got the trick). He could recall and point out half the countries of the world on a map and knew the flags of a lot of countries at 3.5.

He's now in the first year of school and, while I'd stop short of saying he's 'gifted', he's way ahead of the other kids in terms of reading and maths. Level 11 reading in the initial screening and did all 100 sight words in the screen. They stopped him counting because of time. Lol.

The thing with a lot of gifted type kids is that their development is lopsided. So while my son was brilliant at reading, maths and general knowledge/science his fine and gross motor skills were average. Not behind, just average. It's important to help them develop their weaknesses while also fostering their talents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In qld, funding is given to the districts for gt programs. It's up to the schools whether they want to do a program to get the funding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    From a psych perspective...IQ tests can be administered from 2 years of age; however I wouldn't want to actually do one that early. I'd say from about 8 they probably become more reliable. You really need to think about why you are making your child sit through quite a lengthy assessment though - if it's just to get a number to satisfy your own curiosity then it's really not worth it, but if it's to get your child extra assistance/funding (generally for kids at the other end of the spectrum), or to gain entry into a specific program that's going to benefit your child in some way, then maybe it's worth considering. It is time consuming though (and expensive if done privately), so I'd advise against doing it unless it really needs to be done. If a child is ahead of his/her peers in some way though, the teacher should be differentiating the curriculum and providing work that is at the child's level, regardless of whether they have a piece of paper stating that the child is gifted - that's their job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My niece is in a gifted and talented in a public school in nsw, it's only available to years 5 & 6. She sat for the class in year 4 with kids from about 10 different schools from different suburbs around the area.
    We knew she was smart from the time she could talk, amazing memory and could tell you the name of each part of the eye at 2 years old after being taught.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chicken foot- my last school in Sydney was exactly the same. My current school in Melbourne doesn't but we offer external programs for those that qualify. Parents have to pay for them though. Both are public schools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not my child, but I was considered a gifted child.

Adults - quite rightly I think - tended to avoid discussing it with me, so I don't know a lot of the details. My mum had no idea I could write (more than my own name) until the kindy teacher mentioned it to her. I remember reading picture books to the other kids at kindy as well (would have been 4).

Apparently all of my teachers through primary school mentioned to my mum that they thought I was gifted. There was no specific program at my school. The school tried to address it by putting me ahead (I only did 1 term of reception, and skipped year 6), and giving me extension work.

At high school I was in the top ****** for core subjects... but that really wasn't equivalent to a gifted program.

Whilst I was fine with the way the schools approached things at the time, I now think I could have gained a lot from a specific program for gifted/talented kids.