+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Gifted children

Ok I know we all think our child is the greatest but parents with genuine gifted children when did you find out and was there any clues?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing - and can I add to your question - how was their gifted ness confirmed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Interested in this thread more for my SIL.

Her son is 5 and seems to have the most incredible ability with Maths and numbers. He has been counting to around 800 (he stops there because he gets sidetracked) and despite never having an analog clock at home has been telling the time for the last 6 months. His mum was driving him to kindy last year and he said "mummy it's 7:04, that means it's 56 minutes until 8 o'clock and 116 minutes until 9 o'clock.

He has jut started preschool and his teachers have no idea what to do with him because the work they give him he finishes way before everyone else.

He is clearly gifted (only in maths - his English isn't as great) so it will be interesting to see what happens with him now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With my oldest DS it was starting to be noticeable by about 2 that he was way ahead of his peers at things like puzzles and a very long concentration span. He also had a great vocab and by 2.5yrs knew shapes, numbers and letters. At 6 he was reading at yr 8 level and was an excellent speller. I never actually had him tested or anything though. In year 4 he sat a entrance exam for an Opportunity Class for years 5 & 6 and then went to a selective High School for Gifted and Talented which also was an entry exam.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was obvious from toddler hood that my nephew is gifted in math and science. An incredible attention span, (like hours of building complicated micano (sp?) sets, that were intended for MUCH older children) he just "got" maths, addition and subtraction even before kinder, and similar things.

Even though his primary school knew he was gifted, nothing was done with him until he started secondary school. In year seven he was put into the gifted and talented program for math and science.

Oh, I think its normal that primary schools don't have any programs for gifted kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies, at my school we have a program for students who are deemed gifted and talented.
    We use this list to identify g&t children as well as using their academic results as well are their IQ testing results.
    Hope this helps.

Silverman (2003) summarising her work with gifted children suggests that if a child demonstrates more than three-quarters of the following traits, it is likely that he or she is gifted:
    • good problem solving/reasoning abilities
    • rapid learning ability
    • extensive vocabulary
    • excellent memory
    • long attention span
    • personal sensitivity
    • compassion for others
    • perfectionism
    • intensity
    • moral sensitivity
    • unusual curiosity
    • persevering when interested
    • high degree of energy
    • preference for older companions
    • wide range of interests
    • great sense of humour
    • early or avid reading ability
    • concerned with justice, fairness
    • at times, judgment seems mature for age
    • keen powers of observation
    • vivid imagination
    • high degree of creativity
    • tends to question authority
    • shows ability with numbers
    • good at visual puzzles
    • highly talented in one or more areas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I ask how do you assess what is gifted? DS has always been ahead of his peers in doing puzzles and Lego but has the attention span of a knat!

Now he's in school his maths, IT and reading/comprehensive we're reported to be a year ahead of his year. He still can be easily distracted and his focus and concentration can wander quickly when he's doing things like handwriting which he detests.

Are they signs of gifted or just areas that he enjoys and therefore excels. We had concerns that they may have been 'spikes' and linked to spectrum disorders but we have been advised not (and not add/ADHD).

ETA: previous poster may have answers so I'll add another question - would you bother with IQ test or just let him be?

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can get them assessed by the school psych if your school has access to one. I'm in victoria and we can approach parents to get their child assessed with an IQ test specifically for children.
    At the end of the day all that counts is that he is engaged at school and his needs are being met and he is given the opportunity to explore his interests.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not a parent of a gifted child, but my sister was gifted. It was obvious as a little kid that she was bright, but it wasn't until she was in mid primary school when her behaviour began to change significantly that mum started seeing signs of her being quite different. She would come home from school in rages, she hated school because she wasn't being stimulated, and her behaviour just got worse and worse. We lived in the country, so mum started looking into private schools in Melbourne. With the help of the school she was referred to the CHIP (Children of High Intellectual Potential) Foundation where she was assesed and confirmed as gifted (in their top 10%), and went on to be involved in progams that would help her realise her potential.