+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heated View Post
    Thanks Busybee and Rose&Aurelia. Busybee what year did your daughter attend? I'm guessing since she's in post grad. now she went there 4 or 5 years ago? What did you think of the principal and the way the school was run? Yes, the arts and music program looked terrific. Both my DD's love to sing and dance and are really into fine art too. I thought this school really suited their interests.

Rose&Aurelia I had heard about gangs as well but they seem to be a part of many high schools these days. Did they cause problems to your knowledge. Also just wondering if it was St Thomas More where you went to school, as this is the other school we are considering? If so what are your thoughts on STM?

Sorry for so many questions but I really want to make the right decision. I have to enroll my youngest DD in STM this year if we wish to go ahead with that school. I'd rather save myself the $250.00 holding enrolment fee if we decided in favor of MacGregor.
    I know the current principal of STM and several of their teachers. It's a great school. But I didn't go there. I went to clairvaux mackillop college

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Busybee I know what you mean. Anyway glad to hear of your positive experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rose&Aurelia thanks for your input. Obviously you'd choose STM over MacGregor. MacGregor has just become and independent school which I believe means the principal now has much more control on how she spends the money and also on the teachers she chooses to employ.

I'm interested in what makes the principal and teachers you know at STM really good?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heated View Post

I'm interested in what makes the principal and teachers you know at STM really good?

A few taught me and a few more I went to school or uni with. I'm hoping to get relief work there soon. The chaplain there is great too! Met him socially. And he is mates with my brother.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for sharing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, one more question Rose&Aurelia. You may or may not be able to answer this question but as you can see from my original post I am concerned when students don't get enough explicit/direct instruction prior to engaging with inquiry based learning.

It sounds like you are a teacher so you probably know what I'm talking about. Would you have any idea how the teacher's you know at STM, teach? I guess what I mean is I agree with the John Fleming explicit instruction approach which is slow release of responsibility. Lessons are based on the idea: I do (teacher shows how to do it), we do (the class attempt the problem together under the instruction of the teacher) and you do (where the student takes responsibility for working on the problem). I know Coopparoo College uses this approach but I'm on the hunt for schools in my area that may have a similar approach, if not exactly like this...I'm not a fan of schools who are heavy on inquiry/discovery learning at the expense of direct instruction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I went to Coorparoo and it's not a school I would recommend. From what I've heard it's only continued to go down hill further over the years.
    My brothers went to Mt. Gravatt. It was quite a strict school in comparison but did not offer anywhere near the amount of subjects or opportunities available at Coorparoo. One brother spent his 5 years of high school there and the other left within the first year.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Each teacher will have a preferred style and will adapt their style to suit their students.

Generally, lower grades tend to get more explicit teaching but yrs 11&12 tend to be more investigative. It's also subject dependent.

You will probably have to attend STMs open day to ask that.