+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Opinions on MacGregor State High School - Brisbane

Hi

I have posted before but had no replies so I'm doing so again. Anyone been to this school or had kids at this school?. I went to the open day and really liked the feel. However, because my daughter is reserved and a little quirky people have said to me that it is far to big and she will feel lost. but I'm hoping the sheer number of kids will mean she's more likely to come across like-minded kids.

Also, if anyone knows about their teaching pedagogy please share. I know it's based on "Dimensions of Learning" but what I am interested in is how much direct/explicit instruction the teachers do. Or is the emphasis on inquiry based learning with the teacher as guide? I have a preference for more focus on explicit instruction with some inquiry learning coming after.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Macgregor always had a really bad name. It was the kind of school where stabbings happened.
    Unless it's cleaned itself up in recent years I'd probably avoid it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Really? It's so interesting the different accounts you get from different people. I have been told by others that it has always had a really good reputation. It certainly didn't seem rough or out of control on open day.

I remember when I first started high school at Indooroopilly High way back in 1980 (I think) how everyone said not to go there as you'd be pregnant in the first 3 months. Anyway it had a bad reputation then but turned out it was actually a really good school. I really enjoyed my time there. It has gone on to be one of the best State high schools in Qld I believe.

Thanks for your opinion Harvestmoon. Did you hear this word of mouth or do you have direct experience ie know kids who went there etc.?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    A lot of kids from my primary school went there, my brother had friends there and I knew a few other people from there through my friends.
    When I was at school in the late 90's- early 2000's I remember one stabbing happening. I think there was another at some point?
    It was a really bad school back then but as I said it may have cleaned itself up in recent years?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again harvestmoon. I actually spoke to a mum this morning who went there when this incident occurred. She said that it happened out of school hours but was between 2 MacGregour kids. However she also said she never felt like the school had a threatening environment. She also said it has changed principals since then and she heard the new principal is pretty strict. The principal did tell us that if you are out of catchment your child needs to get high marks on effort and behavior in order to be offered a place at the school. So I guess they are trying to weed out kids with behavioural issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Harevestmoon if you don't mind sharing - where did you go to high school, was it in this general area and did you like it?

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    My DSD went there - she was the most well-grounded teenager you could hope to meet. She's currently doing post-graduate uni studies. I do know the school had a strong music program.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    A lot of kids from my primary school went there, my brother had friends there and I knew a few other people from there through my friends.
    When I was at school in the late 90's- early 2000's I remember one stabbing happening. I think there was another at some point?
    It was a really bad school back then but as I said it may have cleaned itself up in recent years?

Yep. A stabbing happened there back in 2000 or 1999. I went to the local catholic high school so had a few friends from primary school there. It used to be a really dud school with lots of gangs but in recent years I've heard it's cleaned up a bit.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Busybee and Rose&Aurelia. Busybee what year did your daughter attend? I'm guessing since she's in post grad. now she went there 4 or 5 years ago? What did you think of the principal and the way the school was run? Yes, the arts and music program looked terrific. Both my DD's love to sing and dance and are really into fine art too. I thought this school really suited their interests.

Rose&Aurelia I had heard about gangs as well but they seem to be a part of many high schools these days. Did they cause problems to your knowledge. Also just wondering if it was St Thomas More where you went to school, as this is the other school we are considering? If so what are your thoughts on STM?

Sorry for so many questions but I really want to make the right decision. I have to enroll my youngest DD in STM this year if we wish to go ahead with that school. I'd rather save myself the $250.00 holding enrolment fee if we decided in favor of MacGregor.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Sorry I don't know any more than that. DSD lived with her mother and only came over every other weekend and like most teenagers, was difficult to extract information about her life!!