+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Costume for harmony day

My 3 year old daughter is at kindy and she has been asked to attend on Thursday in a costume that represents her cultural heritage.

All of her parents, grand parents and great grandparents were born in Australia. Prior to that, I believe her relatives were from the uk/Scotland, but I'm not exactly sure, I am really just guessing.

I am at a loss as to what to dress her in on Thursday. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    A pioneer settler?

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD dressed as a swagman last year. Flannelette shirt, jeans, broad rimed hat (we bought a cork hat from a cheapie Australiana stall at a market), and an old blanket rolled up and strung over her shoulder. She looked great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ohhh bugger, we just usually have to dress in orange for harmony day. I'd probably just be lazy and dress her in boardies, rashie, thongs and a bucket hat, and maybe some zinc on her nose.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

PurpleButterfly4  (17-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When they did this at school I was told noy to worry about doing it for my DS because he is Australian. I was like WTF? So my child doesn't get to celebrate his family because its not interesting like the rest??? we have Scottish/Enlighlish background. I thought this was about everyone not just Muslim, asian ect. Was quite annoyed about that

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you for the replies. I might go with the aussie beach look, boardies rashie zinc etc.

Bit annoyed we didn't get more than one weeks notice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds's school says dress in orange or if you have an Australian background dress in 'Aboriginal dress'. Ds comes from another culture but if you're child was not Aboriginal why would you dress them in 'Aboriginal dress'? Seems a bit off to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Ha Dd1 School just sent notices advising of harmony day celebrations for Friday. This Friday. barely 3 days notice. Kids to dress in multicultural outfits or orange.

Dd1 doesn't own either. Our school usually bans the boardies and zinc fair dinkum Aussie costume because it is not in the spirit of the day. Dd1 idea of multicultural is wearing some daggy clothes her nana brought back from Bali with the words Bali or bintang sprawled across it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    Ds's school says dress in orange or if you have an Australian background dress in 'Aboriginal dress'. Ds comes from another culture but if you're child was not Aboriginal why would you dress them in 'Aboriginal dress'? Seems a bit off to me.
    We have a few aboriginals at our school and last year a couple of them(boys) went dressed in their undies(possibly speedos but tbh I wasn't looking close enough) with the traditional body paint and bare feet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    He he DH ancestors were on the first fleet so prison arrows for us when we get to school

12. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (18-03-2014)