+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thugwife View Post
    Today was our 6th iui cycle and we both have a good feeling about it. Weirdly enough (if you believe this sort of thing) I had a reading done yesterday, tarot cards and numerology etc (I'm so ewy at of a sceptic) but she said my number for the year was 6 and when I realised today was our 6th attempt, it felt exciting!
    hoping the positive vibes bring some luck our way!
    if this cycle doesn't work we'll be moving onto ivf at myivf at north lakes, on brisbane's north side.
    I too am worried about egg retrieval as I had horrible after effects from a salon hysteogram but have been assured it's nowhere near as painful.

Ill keep keep you guys posted!
    let me know how your two week wait goes xoxoxox
    Ooooooooh, Fx for cycle number 6! Hope this is your cycle for a sticky one!

Great that your FS is doing a cheaper clinic! Wish we had one of those!

Yeah, the hysto thingo....the one where they squirt dye? Uncomfortable! If the egg retrieval isn't as bad as that then that's ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Calstar View Post
    Hi
    I just wanted to jump in to ask you ladies why it's was that you chose IUI over IVF?
    Was it solely a cost thing?
    Thanks
    Hi,
    We wanted a stepwise approach. Didn't want to jump to IVF if we didn't need to, and FS said I had time to try IUI (I'm 37 I. 2 days!), mostly just wanted it taken out of my hands!
    it's been a good learning curve too. IVF is still scary, but not as scary, as I have already injected myself and had low dose hormones etc.
    ours is a fair bit cheaper than IVF, As we've hit the Medicare safety net, we paid under $1000 for this cycle. Not sure of the IVF costs actually!
    And IUI is less invasive, just like a Pap smear, rather than egg retrieval.

Hope this helps, are you deciding what to do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsErinR View Post
    I haven't done IUI but I have had 2 miscarriages with IVF. Have you had any tests for the cause of the miscarriages? There are many things that can cause them and many are easily treatable too. For me, I have high NK cells which is an immune system issue, easily treated. (I'm also older and that doesn't help me, but not an issue for you)

It could just be very bad luck or it could be a very treatable thing!

It sounds like you can get pregnant relatively easily with IUI. That's great. I hope you get to the bottom of the cause of your losses and on to a successful pregnancy.
    Sorry to hear of your mcs MrsErinR
    Do you mind me asking what is the treatment for high NK cells? And how was it diagnosed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My high NK cells were diagnosed after an endometrial biopsy. That's just like a Pap smear but they take a little sample of lining. Not pleasant, but it's quick. The treatment for me is to be on steroids during cycle and I have an IV drip of intralipid before cycles. That is done at my doctors clinic. It's no big deal really.

Not all doctors believe in immune issues etc. Mine is a big advocate for testing for them though. You will learn a lot if you read the high Natural Killer Cells thread. The ladies there know way more than me!

Also, for what it's worth, I have had a hystersalpingogram and IVF egg pickups and I can tell you I would choose the pick up 100 times over! You're out with a light anaesthetic while they do it at my clinic and the pain after is like mild AF cramps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the info!

Just interested in the NK cell issue. Don't think I have it. scientifically it makes sense.

That's good about hysto....vs egg pick up! Phew!

So good to hear other peoples experiences! Eases the fear of the unknown!

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I opted for IVF first up over IUI as it had higher success rates. My sister had no eggs left at 35, I was 31 when I started so I was aware of the clock ticking.

The cost of a full IVF cycle is a lot more then IUI but if you get some frosties the price is comparable for a frozen transfer and the success rates are higher.

The injections didn't bother me, I don't enjoy it but the needles are very fine, once you get over the hesitation of poking it in.

I'm PCOS so I produce a lot of eggs on IVF. Because of that I do take longer than most to recover from EPU. My sister was fine afterwards. I've had 4 EPUs done now and I do need a few days of rest afterwards. I can still potter round the house but I know not to try 12hr nightshifts like I did a day after my first EPU!

The actual procedure doesn't hurt as your out. You just wake up crampy.

Happy to answer any questions if you have any.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry to make the previous post a about me, I just don't want you guys to be scared of IVF!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OIC View Post
    Hi,
    We wanted a stepwise approach. Didn't want to jump to IVF if we didn't need to, and FS said I had time to try IUI (I'm 37 I. 2 days!), mostly just wanted it taken out of my hands!
    it's been a good learning curve too. IVF is still scary, but not as scary, as I have already injected myself and had low dose hormones etc.
    ours is a fair bit cheaper than IVF, As we've hit the Medicare safety net, we paid under $1000 for this cycle. Not sure of the IVF costs actually!
    And IUI is less invasive, just like a Pap smear, rather than egg retrieval.

Hope this helps, are you deciding what to do?
    Yes it helps heaps!

We've been seeing our FS for a few months now & have just had some investigation tests etc.
    We have a follow up appointment next week & dependent on the results we'll be discussing our next move.
    Our FS did think IUI could be a worthwhile option, but we needed to see the results of my DH's 3rd SA before deciding. But obviously it's ultimately our choice.
    It's definitely a hard one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and about costs, as I said above there wasn't too much difference at our clinic; an IUI cycle is $680 cheaper than an IVF/ICSI cycle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Calstar View Post
    Thanks for the insight.
    I only ask as the price difference at our clinic isnt really that huge. So I just wondered if people chose IUI for other reasons

We we found out of pocket to be fairly substantial, iui is about $450, standard ivf is about $5500 and low cost ivf is about $1300 x