+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Fear of being alone at night - panic attacks

I have an irrational fear of being home alone at night. I have no idea what caused it but I have always been afraid of the dark.

I'm looking for ideas to manage it as DH is going away for work this week. I got a referral to a psych but I'm not able to get an appointment before DH goes away.

Breathing exercises don't work for me, neither does progressive muscle relaxation. I have been trying guided meditation & it helps a bit but I'm only really new at it & need a lot more practice & yet to try it when I'm highly anxious.

Usually when I'm in this situation I'm on the edge of a panic attack the entire time & then if I try & go to sleep that sets one off. I have a night-light or sleep with the light on, I leave a radio or the tv on, I have my phone & a torch right next to me, I check the house is secure etc, what else can I do??

At this point I'm considering just sitting up watching movies for the entire night. I will still be extremely anxious but hopefully will be able to avoid panic attacks. Only problem with that is I have to work the following day which is a problem if I've had no sleep at all.

My parents don't have a spare bed so I can't stay there & I don't have anyone who could come over.

I'm terrified about hurting the baby with the panic attacks!

I asked DH not to go away with work while I was pregnant but he reckons he doesn't have a choice.

Really worried & no clue what to do!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you buy some of those cheap intruder door alarms from bunnings that you can put on all the obvious entry points...they are easy to put on yourself and make a huge sound if tripped. That might soothe your fears of intruders robbers etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks I didn't even know they existed, will go to bunnings & check them out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is it that you are scared of someone coming in .... Or just generally scared of being alone? Could you leave all the house lights on? I know I'm not much help. If you keep the telly on are you likely to be able to stuff off to sleep anyway?? Like if you turn it in for white noise but turn away so you aren't actually watching it??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know its not the same as your level of anxiety, but i also get scared when home alone overnight. What works for me is to keep busy before bed doing craft, watch an engrossing movie, cooking etc. also make sure you get lots of exercise throughout the day so youre properly tired for bed. Have a relaxing bath or shower before bed and put some lavender oil on your pillow. Read a book in bed until you fall asleep.

Chat on here when you feel anxious. Good luck xxx

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Funnels For This Useful Post:

cooper82  (17-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really feel for you OP. While I don't suffer from the level anxiety you are explaining I absolutely hated being alone at night until recently. My dh works fifo so is away for 8 nights in a row so it took me a long time to feel comfortable and some nights are worse than others. Some things that have helped me are;
    Security lights at the back and front of house.
    Knowing my neighbours well enough that I can call them if I feel unsafe.
    Chatting to a friend on the phone so it doesn't feel so lonely.
    Watching tv till I fall asleep
    Checking all the windows and doors several times
    Leave a pair of dh work boots at the front door so it looks like a man is home.
    Keeping a torch next to the bed.
    Sleeping with a night light and a light on in another room of the house.
    I'm so sorry you are so anxious to be alone. My sister knows some fifo wives who barricade themselves into their bedrooms at night just to feel safe so whatever is going to get you through this you have to try.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Forgot to say, if it's the dark you are afraid of there is no reason to ever be in the dark. I have slept with a night light my entire life. It even comes on holidays with me if we go away!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get an alarm fitted. Best thing I've ever done! I used to be an absolute mess and not sleep more than an hour.

Once it went off in the middle of the night and I called our local police station. The policeman got my address and then stayed on the phone until I had checked the house!

I now keep the police number (local) on my phone and turn it off so that as soon as I turn the screen on that number comes up. Then I keep my phone, alarm remote and a mag lite under my husbands pillow.

I don't get nervous at all anymore and actually sleep better alone!

I think in the end you just need to get used to it which takes time. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    These are the cheapie ones that I mean, use them on windows, doors whatever. Just stick it on and your ready to go.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/swann-mag...alarm_p4220354

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have those cheapie ones from bunnings and they are soo good! (We actually got them because we have a pool & a creek across the rd and I didn't want the kids getting out unnoticed)

My husband worked nights for our first two years in this house and they made me feel so much better as I knew no one was in our house because the alarms would have gone off.