+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    I personally think Stranger Danger on its own is a dangerous message. As per PP's Body Integrity, Good secrets/bad secrets etc are far safer messages to teach kids
    Several people have mentioned something along these lines and I just don't get it. The two concepts are not mutually exclusive. Bodily integrity and stranger danger education both play a part in keeping kids safe.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Serenity Love  (18-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Several people have mentioned something along these lines and I just don't get it. The two concepts are not mutually exclusive. Bodily integrity and stranger danger education both play a part in keeping kids safe.

Because too too many people get hung up on Stranger Danger and fail to understand that kids are more at risk from people they know and trust than they'll ever be from a stranger.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (18-03-2014),ertgirl  (18-03-2014),Serenity Love  (18-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am so glad i started this thread!! Great posts all. And thanks heaps for sharing that awesome article, it makes perfect sense! I love the password idea too, will def do that with my kiddies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    At each Police station there are special officers who deal with all this for young kids. You can always take them to your local police for a chat or invite them to your kindy, day care etc for a talk. The kids always respond really well to it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wigglemum For This Useful Post:

Serenity Love  (18-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by wigglemum View Post
    At each Police station there are special officers who deal with all this for young kids. You can always take them to your local police for a chat or invite them to your kindy, day care etc for a talk. The kids always respond really well to it.

Lol! our local one doesn't like face to face visits. They prefer phone calls only. Long story short we had to report a theft of a sensitive nature and needed a stat Dec or something like that and went to the local one and they pretty much told us unless we were beaten up really badly not to go to the station next time, just call. And the sad thing is, Dd1 was with us. So that kind of broke the trust of being able to go to the police if in trouble.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

CitrusRainxxx  (18-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole83 View Post
    The Morcombe family made a list of tips to teach children about stranger danger. I particularly like the 'password' concept.

Everyone agrees on a password (for example lasagne) and
    Anyone that picks them up from school, sport, an event etc must say the password. If they don't know the password don't go with them.
    I have always thought this one is a good idea too and every now and then I randomly ask my kids what the family password is so they don't forget it.

Probably sounds corny, but we also often act out different scenarios with the kids so they can practice what to do/say in those types of situations, in the hope that somewhere in the back of their minds they will retain it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    Lol! our local one doesn't like face to face visits. They prefer phone calls only. Long story short we had to report a theft of a sensitive nature and needed a stat Dec or something like that and went to the local one and they pretty much told us unless we were beaten up really badly not to go to the station next time, just call. And the sad thing is, Dd1 was with us. So that kind of broke the trust of being able to go to the police if in trouble.
    There's always one dodgy copper who is too lazy to do anything. Try again and hopefully get someone nice. Or ring first and ask for the right person. Or go to the next station. They wonder why we loose faith

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wigglemum For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (19-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    I have always thought this one is a good idea too and every now and then I randomly ask my kids what the family password is so they don't forget it.

Probably sounds corny, but we also often act out different scenarios with the kids so they can practice what to do/say in those types of situations, in the hope that somewhere in the back of their minds they will retain it.
    I don't think it's corny at all. It only takes a few minutes and could potentially save their lives, or their kids' lives and so on. They will hopefully teach their children in similar ways we teach ours.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nicole83 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (19-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thank you, yes, every little bit helps I guess.