+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Teaching 'Stranger Danger'

How do you plan to teach your child 'Stranger Danger'

My DS is only 2 years old, so its probably very hard right now for him to understand much about it until he is probably 3-4....

But he is extremely confident and sociable and while i think it's good and all, it does worry me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I always remember a Oprah show from years ago that said you need to get your children comfortable talking to strangers for 2 reasons 1) they need to feel confident to approach people if they are in need of help or lost and 2) by getting used to talking/ interacting with strangers at normal everyday places when a predator comes along they know what is normal behaviour and what is not. ( the old man saying hello what nice manners you have is different to a old man saying come in my car and ill show you a puppy type thing )

We are always out and DS is very sociable. he knows the names of most of the shop keepers ( and they know his ) he goes up and orders things or asks for the bill at cafes , he's only 3 so I'm thinking soon I'll start bringing up if he ever gets lost to find a policeman ( he knows policemen help people) or a mum with kids and then bring up the don't get into cars / go with anyone except me/DH/ grandparents etc

They usually say predators are not scary men in trench coats but normal looking everyday people so I think trying to teach kids to go with their gut feeling or be confident to say this person makes me feel scared can only work if they understand what. "Normal. " stranger behaviour is

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (17-03-2014),HowCrazyCool  (17-03-2014),JohnC  (16-03-2014),KaraB  (16-03-2014),Maia  (17-03-2014),Mummy Potato  (17-03-2014),Serenity Love  (16-03-2014),siennasyummymummyxxx  (16-03-2014),swizzlestick  (18-03-2014),VicPark  (16-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd is 3 and has never been a 'runner' but sometimes would find it amusing to run and hide from me at the shop which I absolutely hate. A few months ago I told her that if she runs away from mummy and I can't see her, someone might come along and think she doesn't have a mummy and want to take her home and then she will never see me again. I think it hit pretty hard. I know it's sounds really harsh but I don't want to mess around with this stuff and she hasn't done it since. When we are in the shop now she sometimes repeats it to me so I am pleased that it has sunk in. We talk alot about safety with her (private areas, who is allowed to help her, how to say 'stop' and 'no' ) and have started young in the hope she will have the skills if (god forbid) she is ever in danger.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wannaBamumma For This Useful Post:

Serenity Love  (18-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I recently read an article that made a lot of sense- you teach your children about "tricky" people. If somebody asks them to do something and says they don't need to ask you, or it's a secret- that's a red flag. If an adult asks for their help- that's a red flag (adults should rarely need help from a child) and so on.
    Since most child abuse happens from a family member or friend, it's important to be alert for any "grooming" behaviour from those you know and trust.
    I guess with the Daniel Morcombe story in the media at the moment, many parents are desperate for answers on how to best protect their little ones. My feeling is that most people will do the right thing by our children and if we teach them to be perceptive about the behaviour of others, it will serve them well.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

Serenity Love  (18-03-2014),swizzlestick  (18-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ABigDeepBreath For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and I also read (can't remember if it was the same article), to teach your children that if they are lost they should find a mum with kids to help them, which I thought was a good idea.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't like. 'Tricky people' as a term. It suggests the people are trying to trick you, which of course they are, but it makes light of it. Haha tricked you! Comes to mind.

I tell my kids that there are some men and ladies that are bad. I know it might seem like it will scare them, but it is honest and if I'm honest I am scared of the bad people too. They are pretty responsible because of this knowledge.

They know that they need to be able to see me otherwise a bad man or lady might take them. They know no one is to touch their private parts except them. They know to tell me if anyone does try to touch them there ( they've dobbed on gma lol ) that they are to tell them no and tell me immediately. If they are lost they are to find a policeman or a mummy with a pram.

The Daniel Morcombe thing came on tv and DS5 asked if a bad man took him. I searched my husbands eyes for answers and told him that, yes, a bad man took him. It's probably too honest, but I plan on telling them the truth with most things.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Acadaca For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (19-03-2014),Mulva  (16-03-2014),Serenity Love  (18-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadaca View Post
    I don't like. 'Tricky people' as a term. It suggests the people are trying to trick you, which of course they are, but it makes light of it. Haha tricked you! Comes to mind.

I don't have a problem with the term. It's less frightening and more age appropriate than saying to a small kid "watch out for the pedophile that likes raping little kids."
    Last edited by VicPark; 16-03-2014 at 23:28.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (17-03-2014),CitrusRainxxx  (18-03-2014),gnomesy  (18-03-2014),LaDiDah  (18-03-2014),Mummy Potato  (17-03-2014),Serenity Love  (18-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The Morcombe family made a list of tips to teach children about stranger danger. I particularly like the 'password' concept.

Everyone agrees on a password (for example lasagne) and
    Anyone that picks them up from school, sport, an event etc must say the password. If they don't know the password don't go with them.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nicole83 For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (17-03-2014),Serenity Love  (18-03-2014),zooey  (17-03-2014)