+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Banana stains

There are things in life you only learn about once you have children.

This is one of those things: bananas make stain on clothes that, to borrow a phrase from a movie, will outlast religion.

"Bananas are an ideal baby food," they say. "It will be fun," they say.

Oh my Dog - this stuff is crazy! The stain has survived so much that I'm sure bananas have military applications. Do they use bananas for tattoo ink?

Of course, it's only on a couple of nice items that I would like to keep using.

Unfortunately they went through a soak-wash-dry cycle before I realised this so I've probably set the stains. I've tried soaking in sensitive napisan (several times, overnight), scrubbing with napisan made into a paste, pink spray stain remover, scrubbing with dish washing detergent. Google tells me to try pink napisan (currently using the sensitive version), tea tree oil, sun and bleach. Bleach isn't a great option - stains are on white part of the clothes (of course), but close to dark areas.

So I'm asking for the collective wisdom of those who have gone before me - does anything actually work? Or do I save the money I would spend on tea tree oil and pink laundry products and just go and buy baby new clothes instead?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing - I hear ya and have no clue! Hopeully someone knows the secret.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Exit stick is the only other thing I've tried not on your list. This sometimes works, but after everything you have tried it might be too late. Definitely invest in one for the future though, only a couple of bucks and lasts ages. It's like a little yellow block of soap that you rub in stains before washing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mel04 View Post
    Definitely invest in one for the future though, only a couple of bucks and lasts ages. It's like a little yellow block of soap that you rub in stains before washing.
    Sounds good, especially now DS has found a taste for blueberries.

Have you tried tea tree oil? It was suggested on a Shannon Lush page, but I'm feeling sceptical. If it works so well, they why don't companies like napisan sell it in little overpriced bottles as a miracle stain remover?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Amazing to see this post - I've started DD on solids 2 weeks ago, did the first round of bibs washing yesterday and freaked out when I saw the gross banana staining completely not budged by Vanish stain remover plus Napisan in the wash.
    I'm now soaking the banana bibs in the kitchen sink with just dish washing detergent immediately after use, but I think the ones that have been stained are unlikely to clear up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Might help for future prevention. I have seen and bought these in trade secret too

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1394951826.822352.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeSam View Post
    Might help for future prevention. I have seen and bought these in trade secret too
    They are great. I've got some Silly Billyz ones like this. The fleece ones are especially soft and easy to wash. New rule is no banana unless nude or engulfed in the eating smock :P

The good news is that another soak in napisan (hot water) plus more scrubbing with a paste then another wash (40 degrees, heavy cycle) seems to have moved the worst of the stains! Woo! Winning at domestic goddess-ing!
    So maybe it's a case of just needing loads of time soaking, elbow grease scrubbing (blah!), praying to the stain gods and about $30 of laundry products to save $20 of clothes

9. The Following User Says Thank You to clbj For This Useful Post:

BeeSam  (18-03-2014)