+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Talking Child Dental Benefits Scheme - is everyone aware of this?

*Community Service Announcement*
    Is everyone aware that you are eligible for up to $1000 over 2 years for children's dental costs? Eligibility criteria is if you're receiving FTBA.

This was introduced at the beginning of this year - courtesy of The Greens. <- shiny clean teeth icon

More information here:
    http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...efits-schedule

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Don't all children (not just those receiving FTBA/benefits) already have access to school dental services (no limit?)?

Eta ... Looks like those who claim FTB at the end of financial year will miss out as eligibility is assessed once a calendar year in January.

Does this replace the teen dental voucher? Didn't cover heaps but it all helped and everyone got one.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Mod-RaryGirl; 16-03-2014 at 07:53.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by RaryGirl View Post
    Don't all children already have access to school dental services (no limit?)? Sorry ... haven't read link

I'm not sure how that works to be honest. DS had about $700 worth of dental work late last year (yep, just before it was introduced ) and needs ongoing treatment so we've opted to stick with the same dentist for continuity of care.

It would also cover children not at school age.

ETA: Initial reading indicates they may cover different things. (The school service providing only basic oral hygiene services). I could be wrong though, the website doesn't have an abundance of information.
    Wouldn't you have to wait until the service was in the area for dental care?
    Last edited by Busy-Bee; 16-03-2014 at 07:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    But it says up until 18 years old they can access it? Git a letter in the mail about it. You can use $1000 till 18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Children not at school (pre school not post school age) are eligible to use school dental services as well. A mum at school was telling me the other day she had accessed the service before her son started school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    Wouldn't you have to wait until the service was in the area for dental care?
    Only if you want to wait for the bus ... but there are fixed/permanent school dental sites as well. You book as you would a 'normal' dentist.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not eligible And never knew such a program existed with my previous daughter or I would have been taking her in. Damn government changing their minds all the time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    But it says up until 18 years old they can access it? Git a letter in the mail about it. You can use $1000 till 18.
    Is it only $1000 to use ever? DS1 is 4 so I don't want to use it up now just to take him for a checkup and not have access to it later iykwim.. though there's no guarantee it will still be available the whole time.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a question - last year I took 2DSs to paed. dentist. Health fund only covered about $30-$70 of their visit (fully covered/top cover) and I was out of pocket by $100 per child - just for check up and clean. If I took them to our health fund dentist it wouldn't have cost me anything, so the gap was $100 per child.

If I took them to the paed. dentist again will this scheme cover the out of pocket expense?

They've asked to go back but there's no way I'm taking them there over our health fund one if it's going to be $300 visit (incl DD this time).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its $1000 every two years.
    I wasn't aware of it but we recently had an emergency trip to the dentist for DS after he fell mouth first into a tiled floor. The dentist explained it all and we didn't have to pay a thing.
    You can look at it via the medicare website.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (16-03-2014)