+ Reply to Thread
    Eco Goddess is offline Loving life under the Bodhi tree!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default No more bottles?

DD is 11 mths and FF. She eats solids very well (anything and everything!) but lately has dropped her bottles. She is lucky to have 160ml in the morning and 120ml at bedtime. Just ran out of formula and am wounding if I should bother getting more or just switch her to cows milk now. She eats three main meals, plus snacks and drinks lots of water

Thanks
    Reviews
    I swapped my DD on to cows milk about the same age, but not straight cows milk. Where I am I was able to buy milk formulated for kids... It was what I put her on before switching to cows milk. Was a little more expensive but had added nutrients to it. I also added pentavite vitamins to her milk just to make she she was getting enough from food about once a day...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You can only try, usually its better to do it gradually

Sent from my X10i using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We changed straight up at 11.5 months. By this stage she was only on two/three bottles a day - morning and afternoon sleeps and bedtime. We had no problems, despite her sensitive tummy. And she frequently didn't have a bottle at morning sleep.

I think 12-18 months they're meant to have 600ml of milk, then from 18 months its 300ml. But I'm really sorry I can't find the website I read that from - but it was an online fact sheet from an Australian hospital. There are a lot of supporters out there for toddler formula, however the only real benefit of this is if her diet is lacking probiotics and omega oils etc. a toddler who eats well shouldn't need the additives.

We've just given up bottles altogether (20 months) so now she gets a small straw cup of milk at breakfast and as she finishes the last of her tea, to an approximate total of 300ml, plus probiotic plain greek yogurt and cheese most days.

DD also gets a dose of pentavite at least every second day, but that's because she's notoriously hard to get to eat meat and I worry about her iron supplies.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry to derail, but @cakeish what is pentative?
    OP it sounds like your bub is getting most of her nourishment from food and it is usually recommended to swap to cows milk at 12 months anyway, you're not far off. I personally stayed with formula until around 15 months (but DD is fussy some days so I needed the reassurance from her formula) and now buy a kids formulated cows milk with added omega 3 etc made by Pura.

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Marigold, pentavite is just a liquid vitamin sup for 1-8(?) years. It's one of the few with iron. I think I grabbed my latest bottle from woolies or Coles. We started using it after a bout of norovirus, DD took a long time to get her colour back.

It's also been important for us as DH works evenings (so not there to cook tea) and I've been sick with HG for months, so it's been hard to enforce the red meat that DD should be getting, especially since I think it's foul at the moment too!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cakeish For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (16-03-2014)

Eco Goddess is offline Loving life under the Bodhi tree!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks everyone..might give cows milk a try will see how she goes