+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Four year old's Mother forced to leave the country.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-0...tralia/5318686

This makes me so mad!! Where are the rights for the child?!

ETA:

April 2009: Ari born in Brisbane while mother Eunsil (Chloe) Park is on a student visa.

June 2010: Ms Park’s relationship with Ari’s father Brett Illingworth breaks up, fiancee visa ends.

Oct 2010:Protection visa application refused, Ms Park appeals.

Feb 2011:Refugee Review Tribunal rejects her appeal. Department of Immigration refers case to Ministerial Intervention Unit.

Nov 2012:Officials present report to then-Immigration minister Chris Bowen with “preferred option” that he exercise his powers to grant Ms Park residency. Mr Bowen gives the go-ahead to continue the process, subject to health and character checks. An assurance of support is required.

Sept 2013: Change of Government.

Nov 2013: Report sent to new Immigration minister Scott Morrison. All requirements met except assurance of support. An undertaking by Ms Park’s brother-in-law in South Korea is not accepted. Ms Park has not detailed her predicament to Ari’s grandparents in Brisbane at this point.

Nov 2013:Mr Morrison refuses to intervene. Ms Park told to leave by January.

Dec 2013: Ms Park’s lawyers ask the Minister to reconsider and offer an assurance of support from Ari’s Australian grandparents.

Jan 2014: Bridging visa extended.

Feb 2014: Immigration officials say they have not passed the latest request to the Minister. Ms Park is ordered to leave Australia “as soon as practicable”.

Mar 3: Ari’s grandfather Mark Illingworth writes to the Minister asking him to intervene.

Mar 10: Ms Park’s visa expires. She is ordered to leave Australia by March 24.

http://m.couriermail.com.au/news/que...-1226855192127
    Last edited by Lauzy; 15-03-2014 at 21:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How devastating I can't believe the excuses Scott Morrison comes up with. I feel so terribly for the child and the mother. She won't be allowed to take the child outside Australia without the fathers permission.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Surely there has to be some other reason that she can't stay. Surely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't understand why the mother cannot stay. I truly hope that the minister rethinks this and recognises it probably is in the interest of the public for this decision to be reviewed.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    When you think about it though, how many people would come have a baby only because that means they don't have to leave? If that makes sense?? Horrible for the child though, but if it was as easy as that, everyone would do it so they couldt be forced to leave

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    She's lucky the dad is letting her take her child.

Immigration laws separate parents from their children every day.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (15-03-2014),Stiflers Mom  (15-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find geographical considerations regarding children from separated patents by far the most difficult to come up with 'right' or 'good' answers for.

In this case, I think Australia has a duty to this woman as the mother of an Australian citizen. In saying that you don't want people using having a baby as a way to be able to stay in this country. Likewise, you don't want Australians bringing international partners here for the sole reason if making sure future babies are born here and they will be able to keep them here even though the partner will have to leave the country if they split up.

De facto relationships now have the same rules as marriage if the relationship is of 2 years or longer don't they? So for that reason I think sending her back simply because the relationship ended is completely unfair and unjust.

But keeping mother and child together should be the highest priority.

I think too many citizens and immigrants are unaware of the rules regarding inter-country relationships involving children and education is important for people travelling to other countries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    I find geographical considerations regarding children from separated patents by far the most difficult to come up with 'right' or 'good' answers for.

In this case, I think Australia has a duty to this woman as the mother of an Australian citizen. In saying that you don't want people using having a baby as a way to be able to stay in this country. Likewise, you don't want Australians bringing international partners here for the sole reason if making sure future babies are born here and they will be able to keep them here even though the partner will have to leave the country if they split up.

De facto relationships now have the same rules as marriage if the relationship is of 2 years or longer don't they? So for that reason I think sending her back simply because the relationship ended is completely unfair and unjust.

But keeping mother and child together should be the highest priority.

I think too many citizens and immigrants are unaware of the rules regarding inter-country relationships involving children and education is important for people travelling to other countries.
    Pretty sure its 6 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelicHobgoblin View Post
    Pretty sure its 6 months
    Wow ok. I wasn't sure regarding de facts relationships... That's not long at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    She's lucky the dad is letting her take her child.

Immigration laws separate parents from their children every day.
    letting her? I thought she was being forced to leave. I imagine she is the primary carer of their daughter which is why it's better for them to remain together.
    Sorry but the father should have thought about these things also when he moved his foreign partner here then made a baby with her. It was to his advantage that the baby is born in his home turf but that doesn't mean he should be able to use that advantage as a weapon and I for one certainly hate the idea of sending that message out there... That you will have all the rights if you can just get your partner to move to you!

See, the reason I find cases like this so difficult to come up with right or wrong answers for is that I hate the idea of one adult being able to use the law being used to trap another adult. I hate the idea that because one parent chose to move to the other parents home turf that they should then be the one to suffer if the relationship breaks down, simply because the child was born in that state/country. But in this case the mother wants to stay so I can't imagine how the best interest of the child is being met here as there is no harm at all by letting the mother stay here. This is where immigration laws intertwine with family law and it gets messy and complicated.