+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help please obvious flat spots on my DD head!!

Hi everyone my DD no2 is 13 weeks old and has always preferred sleeping to one side? Because of this her head has an odd shape to it and a slight flat spot on that side, her ear is also poking out slightly on that side and that side of her face seems flatter too?Has anyone else had this with her lo's? Will it correct it's self and all form round like it is supposed to? I am really starting to worry? I have taken her to osteo and chiro for realignment but she still turns and sleeps to that side? Out of ideas now!! Any tips and help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would perhaps try taking her to see a different chiro or Osteo? I know that the chiro we took our son to who specializes in babies(she barely touches them & is brilliant so very gentle) recommended the little apple pillows that can be used for babies, you could try using one of those? Sorry I'm not much help.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app
    Last edited by Jessie02; 15-03-2014 at 00:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Go to your gp or child health nurse and get a referral to a peadeatric physio. They will give you exercises and tips to correct. Lots of tummy time is important.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dancingbutterfly For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (15-03-2014),Lillac  (15-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We saw an osteopath with dd for same reason and fixed it in one visit it was actually her torso that was twisted forward very slightly so didn't let one side of her head touch the matress even though her neck had full range of movement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in exactly the same situation my DS is 14 weeks we were made aware of this by the health nurse at 11 weeks. I'd noticed earlier but thought it was just his head however it had started to get more obvious. We have been doing lots of tummy time, I have a bean bag seat so little pressure on head, limited time in bouncers etc, I have a Bumbo type seat called a snug he sits in that at times not too much as he is still a bit floppy, one of those heart shaped pillows under his head when he is playing under his floor mat. Basically I'm trying to take pressure of his head. I've also been doing lots of repositioning and trying to get him to face, look etc on the less dominate side. His head is starting to look better but it's going to take time. I think I'll try an osteopath as others have suggested to you. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You'd have to see the chiro weekly for a number of visits

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub had a very obvious flat spot because he always liked to sleep with his head turned to the right. I tried all the tricks of the trade to get him to turn the other way including turning his cot around so he would have to turn the other way to face the window, hanging something interesting on the left side... He still slept facing right. A lot of people advised to go to chiro so i did and was told by the chiro that he had a stiff neck and that it would take four sessions to correct. After four sessions he was still sleeping on the right (absolutely no change) and so the chiro said four more sessions, and then four more. After which i took him to a trusted friend who is an osteo, she checked him and said there was absolutely no physical reason he was turning to the right but it was just a preference like we have when we sleep. She also said to be very careful with young babies and chiros, there have been some high profile cases of things going wrong and she said there is absolutely no reason to take a small baby to get adjusted. She advised instead to stop fighting his preference to sleep on the right and instead get a pillow designed to take the pressure off while sleeping which we did with great results. He also got more tummy time and as he started to get more active and spend more time awake and less time lying on his back his head rounded out.

I spent countless hours worrying about it and i wish i could get that time back knowing it was all going to work itself out with time (and the right pillow and lots of tummy time), other friends of mine had the same problem with their bubs and they were all "round headed" lol by the time they were one.
    Last edited by Babymakin101; 15-03-2014 at 21:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please go and see a pead, my son always liked to sleep with his head to one side, I tried a few things to get him to change sides and saw a chiro with no luck. He eventually starting sleeping on different sides and on his tummy and people kept saying oh don't worry about the flat spot it will correct itself so I never went to see a Dr about it and now at 19 months he still has it so please get it seen to by a pead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    [QUOTE=dancingbutterfly;7697399]Go to your gp or child health nurse and get a referral to a peadeatric physio. They will give you exercises and tips to correct. Lots of tummy time is important.
    /QUOTE]

This definitely, though you don't require a referral if you're happy to go private.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the reply! I took dd to pead chiro 4 visits and no change, he said it would eventually correct itself, gp also thinks it will correct its self, thanking her to osteo this week so hoping for more answers and some better exercises, it's also really hard to find the time to give her extra tummy time as I have DD1 running around craving att too. I just hope this osteo will help, have heard great things!!