+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Camping as a SP - caravan park safety?

I'm taking DS camping next week and were staying in a caravan park near the beach.

I originally had another adult coming and their kids but now they can't unfortunately but I have other friends coming tha day after we arrive - so it will just be DS and I on the first night. I have our two room tent.

im a but nervous!

I used to camp a lot when younger but haven't been in yrs. DS (3.5) doesn't wander off so much now but I'm just imagining him wanting to go play and running off to the kids play area while I'm trying to set up the tent and unload the car! Haha but I'm sure ill work it out.

Anyone taken the kid(s) camping on your own? Are caravan parks pretty safe these days? It's a biggish, fairly popular park on a beach, south coast. We're staying 4 days. My friends are on a powered site near us but not next to us.

Any tips?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    I have done a bit of camping but not as a single parent or on my own.

But, advice, give him special jobs like pass the tent pegs, hold the corner of the tent etc whatever it takes to keep him busy while you set up. Then while your camping make sure he gets plenty of exercise. Walks, play etc anything to wear him out. Also some caravan parks don't have family facilities to shower and toilet in so depending on what you want to do and what is available you can use the disabled facilities or your may have to ask for a key.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (14-03-2014),PurpleButterfly4  (14-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good ideas! Thanks.

I think it will be fine actually and the more I think about it, the more I like the idea. I was worried about things like not being very safe in just a tent, or DS waking and wandering out during the night but I doubt he would! I'd wake up anyway. I'm just being silly and imaginative I think. :O it's a popular park and there will be other people around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it's a large park they may still have some kids club activities happening so check out their website.

Loads of parks have jumping pillows, pedal carts, games rooms, TV rooms etc which is fun for the kiddies. If the park is apart of either BIG4, Discovery, Top Tourist or Family Parks, they are really family focused.

I agree that giving the kids tasks helps with the set up then go on an adventure!

My dad & step mum own a large park and I have grown up in caravan parks.

Our park is a secure park. It has one entry/exit with a code activated boom gate, secure amenities with code activated doors (pain when you are busting but only park guests can use) we also have someone on the premises 24hrs a day with the night duty manager also a security guard.

Kids are given an armband to wear while in the park and using the pool etc because we still get the public coming in to use the pool and other facilities.

We have never had a problem with safety in tents etc our main problem is people backing into each other's cars and noisy air conditioners at night LOL...

Just be mindful of valuables & where the kids are

Most parks have an after hours phone number in case of emergency and the number will probably be on the park map or in some cases they may even have a direct phone at reception to use.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Moowisha For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (14-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moowisha View Post
    If it's a large park they may still have some kids club activities happening so check out their website.

Loads of parks have jumping pillows, pedal carts, games rooms, TV rooms etc which is fun for the kiddies. If the park is apart of either BIG4, Discovery, Top Tourist or Family Parks, they are really family focused.

I agree that giving the kids tasks helps with the set up then go on an adventure!

My dad & step mum own a large park and I have grown up in caravan parks.

Our park is a secure park. It has one entry/exit with a code activated boom gate, secure amenities with code activated doors (pain when you are busting but only park guests can use) we also have someone on the premises 24hrs a day with the night duty manager also a security guard.

Kids are given an armband to wear while in the park and using the pool etc because we still get the public coming in to use the pool and other facilities.

We have never had a problem with safety in tents etc our main problem is people backing into each other's cars and noisy air conditioners at night LOL...

Just be mindful of valuables & where the kids are

Most parks have an after hours phone number in case of emergency and the number will probably be on the park map or in some cases they may even have a direct phone at reception to use.
    Thanks so much for this! Very helpful! Things have changed since I was a kid, I feel much better now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    If your worried about tent security maybe you can see if you can find a small padlock to fit the zipper tags. Also as for your ds undoing the tent and wandering off, tent zips are loud and noisy so I am sure you would wake to the sound.

As a general rule I have found caravan parks and their visitors to be quite friendly. Be prepared for early mornings from your ds and many other people at the park. As the sun as cracking or earlier type early! The days seem much longer and seem to start much earlier when camping in a tent.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (14-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With the zip, we zip up to the top so DD cannot reach it to open the door. We also have padlocks for when in campgrounds.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Izzys Dragon For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (14-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think I could do camping in a tent with just DS and I just yet. But I hope we can in a few years.

Good advice from pps.
    I hope you have a great camping trip

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleButterfly4 For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (14-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a SP, went with my three kids (9,6,4) recently and they had a great,time.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Threekids For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (16-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following, very interested and good points so far!