+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Spin off-Those in the know...% of protection for certain vaccines (MMR etc)

Bit of a spin off from the flu vax thread.
    Genuine question, but what sort of percentage of people out there present at their GPs, hospitals etc with the very thing they are vaxxed for?

I don't want to have a pro/anti vax debate, but I'm curious as to what sort of protection certains Vaxx's offer?
    I'm not anti-vax at all, especially coming from a family of Dr's & nurses who are very pro-vax. Obviously flu has different strains, so the vax only offers part protection, which is definitely better than none.

Specifically, I'm talking about MMR and chickenpox vax.
    Eldest DD & I had chickenpox vax when she was starting daycare, and I unusually hadn't had it, despite matron at school sticking me in sick bay when someone had it, so I'd get it over & done with while young, but figured I had natural immunity.
    Sure enough, 4mths after being Vaxxed, both DD and I got chickenpox lol.

We all have immunity to Rubella, except youngest DD. She had a severe allergic reaction to the first MMR, so we were told to wait and try when she was older. She is due to try again soon.
    My eldest DD contracted Rubella last yr, which is extremely rare. We ALL got it..not badly, but still there...except youngest DD. I was very, very lucky, as I was 24 wks pregnant...any earlier it could have been a lot different. My immunity was checked at 9wks, and it was high.

I discovered later that it's actually so rare to contract Rubella nowdays, that my GP was supposed to notify Department of Health. He was actually pretty laid back about it, but I still contacted the antenatal clinc to cancel appointments for obvious reasons, and kept us all isolated.
    At the clinic later on they felt that it couldn't possibly have been rubella, but did a blood test to check my immunity in comparison to my previous test. The result was sky high, which they said mean't I would have had it, as my natural immunity had risen so much.
    DS was ok thank God, but it was incredibly frightening.

I know that with a lot of vaccines, such as the flu one, often result in still getting the flu, but at a much milder level. But Rubella I thought was fully effective, so it was a huge shock for those of us vaxxed to get it, but DD who is not vaxxed was the only one who DIDN'T get it!

Early on in the pregnancy I saw another case, and it was a 13 yr old girl....who was the same age as my eldest DD who contracted it. She was at my local chemist with her mum, and I had just walked in the door. A staff member grabbed me and pulled me outside, and they disinfected all the counters and door before I could go in, as I was pregnant.

So MMR, whooping cough and the like, are there different strains the vax doesn't protect? Is it common to still get those things, but just a lot less severe?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaof4 View Post
    So MMR, whooping cough and the like, are there different strains the vax doesn't protect? Is it common to still get those things, but just a lot less severe?
    Yes...I believe so

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The MMR vax is around 95% protection if you have one shot, and about 99% protection if you have two shots which is the recommended dose. However, there is a percentage of the population which can't "hold" immunity to rubella for some reason, no matter how many vaxxes they have, and even if they catch the live virus. They need to have continual boosters perhaps once every one or two years - whereas most people never need it again. You guys may be those people and if you are, you might want to get your titre levels checked for rubella, ususally a person who had the MMR vaccine would show immunity, but if you don't, then you'll know that your one of those that can't hold it.

The chickenpox vaxx is different, at the moment there seems to be a strain going around that effects vaccinated people, although it has been widely shown that those who get it that have been vaxxed get a much milder version of the disease than those who catch the same strain and have not been vaccinated.

Of course, vaccines aren't perfect - we all know that - but at the moment they are the best defence we have against VPDs.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

HazTechDad  (12-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm one of those people that can't hold onto a rubella antibody titre level. I've been recommended to get a booster shot 4mths before TTC each time. Everything else is fine except rubella.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That must be so frustrating for you Rose&Aurelia, what a pain!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's ok the bloke at work who checks out titre levels and then administers the vaccine is super hot.

I occ go and check other levels ie bcg unnecessarily.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (11-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    hahaa!

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    It's ok the bloke at work who checks out titre levels and then administers the vaccine is super hot.

I occ go and check other levels ie bcg unnecessarily.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    The MMR vax is around 95% protection if you have one shot, and about 99% protection if you have two shots which is the recommended dose. However, there is a percentage of the population which can't "hold" immunity to rubella for some reason, no matter how many vaxxes they have, and even if they catch the live virus. They need to have continual boosters perhaps once every one or two years - whereas most people never need it again. You guys may be those people and if you are, you might want to get your titre levels checked for rubella, ususally a person who had the MMR vaccine would show immunity, but if you don't, then you'll know that your one of those that can't hold it.

The chickenpox vaxx is different, at the moment there seems to be a strain going around that effects vaccinated people, although it has been widely shown that those who get it that have been vaxxed get a much milder version of the disease than those who catch the same strain and have not been vaccinated.

Of course, vaccines aren't perfect - we all know that - but at the moment they are the best defence we have against VPDs.