+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,313
    Thanks
    1,749
    Thanked
    1,815
    Reviews
    24
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lexim View Post
    My epi healed quicker than my tear. 6 months for tear. 1 week for epi.
    I'll certainly be going epi this time.


    DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept
    It's not about healing time. An epi increases the chance of tearing by starting the tear.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    99
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked
    33
    Reviews
    0
    I was the same, my epi healed a lot quicker than when I tore!

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jentra2 For This Useful Post:

    Blessedwith3boys  (16-03-2014)

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,622
    Thanks
    916
    Thanked
    1,180
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    If you want to avoid tearing I would be against an episiotomy imo
    It's an individual choice. I advised my ob to not let me tear, the thought of an uncontrolled and untidy tear didn't appeal to me and quite frankly terrified me. I had a large episiotomy delivering a large baby with great difficulty and a long labour narrowly escaping a cs. Failed suction x2 and forceps delivery. I am sure if I had been left to tear I would have been in a hell of a mess with extensive damage. I was amazed at how quick the healing time was, minimal discomfort whilst healing and how well I healed which apparently has a lot to do with your blood flow, good blood flow to that region assists healing. And I had a small episiotomy with ds2. Again healing went well. I was very happy with my choice. Both times my ob could tell I was about to tear therefore cut me before that could happen. I trust him completely. I was very comfortable with my decision not to be left to tear.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 16-03-2014 at 17:00.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,313
    Thanks
    1,749
    Thanked
    1,815
    Reviews
    24
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    It's an individual choice.
    Of course it is?

  6. #25
    lexim's Avatar
    lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,548
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    805
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    It's not about healing time. An epi increases the chance of tearing by starting the tear.
    But they tend to cut to the side so if you do tear further you don't tear into your sphincter muscles which is when the damage happens.

    Tell that to the women who have torn to their bum
    I'll take 1week over 6 months healing anyday


    DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lexim For This Useful Post:

    Blessedwith3boys  (17-03-2014),Bluebirdgirl  (26-03-2014),cluckcluck  (17-03-2014)

  8. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,313
    Thanks
    1,749
    Thanked
    1,815
    Reviews
    24
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lexim View Post
    But they tend to cut to the side so if you do tear further you don't tear into your sphincter muscles which is when the damage happens.

    Tell that to the women who have torn to their bum
    I'll take 1week over 6 months healing anyday


    DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept
    It's supposed be a small cut to the side, sometimes it's not.

    I DID tear to my bum then INTO my bum, and I did so because I was cut, I had to have reconstructive surgery.

    A tear will take the path of least resistance, usually missing major muscles. A cut is through muscle so if you tear more from there it will go on from the cut, through muscle. A cut makes it easier for tears to happen. Everyone chooses different things, I didn't get a choice and I had extensive damage done to me. I chose with my second and third babies to avoid ane
    Epi and I'm so glad I did. Having 4th degree tearing and a 3rd degree episotomy was horrible, give me a natural tear and two months recovery over that any day. My natural 2nd degree tears didn't bother me at all. I was healed within a few weeks. Id hate to imagine what would have happened if they cut me while I was delivering my posterior baby on my back. The first time they "helped" I ended up literally split from a to b.

  9. #27
    lexim's Avatar
    lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,548
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    805
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    It's supposed be a small cut to the side, sometimes it's not.

    I DID tear to my bum then INTO my bum, and I did so because I was cut, I had to have reconstructive surgery.

    A tear will take the path of least resistance, usually missing major muscles. A cut is through muscle so if you tear more from there it will go on from the cut, through muscle. A cut makes it easier for tears to happen. Everyone chooses different things, I didn't get a choice and I had extensive damage done to me. I chose with my second and third babies to avoid ane
    Epi and I'm so glad I did. Having 4th degree tearing and a 3rd degree episotomy was horrible, give me a natural tear and two months recovery over that any day. My natural 2nd degree tears didn't bother me at all. I was healed within a few weeks. Id hate to imagine what would have happened if they cut me while I was delivering my posterior baby on my back. The first time they "helped" I ended up literally split from a to b.
    Yep and every case is different. There's no right or wrong to wanting or not wanting an epi.
    My point simply was it's not always EPIS ARE WORSE!

    Because in my case it wasn't. My epi helped me birth my posterior bub with minimal scarring
    But my natural tear with my first did split me from A to B also, gave me a 2 hour theatre visit, 6 months of pain and on going issues.

    Honestly I know how you feel, I tore into my bum. Yours was because of your epi mine was because I was left to tear naturally.

    Let's just agree, bum tearing is not fun.



    DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept
    Last edited by lexim; 17-03-2014 at 14:48.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to lexim For This Useful Post:

    Blessedwith3boys  (17-03-2014)

  11. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,622
    Thanks
    916
    Thanked
    1,180
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lexim View Post
    But they tend to cut to the side so if you do tear further you don't tear into your sphincter muscles which is when the damage happens.

    Tell that to the women who have torn to their bum
    I'll take 1week over 6 months healing anyday


    DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept
    Exactly. You get cut so you don't tear and you shouldn't tear if you have an experienced dr who knows how to do an episiotomy properly. It's the point of an episiotomy

  12. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,036
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked
    95
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    All this bum tearing talk is making me feel queasy.

    I will be refusing an epi, just as I did in my birth plan with DD.

    If I'm going to tear I would rather it be natural.

    I think I researched it as best I could with DD and could find no evidence to suggest epi's are a better option. I would rather take the risk.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to crazyaboutbubs For This Useful Post:

    IndigoJ  (17-03-2014)

  14. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,313
    Thanks
    1,749
    Thanked
    1,815
    Reviews
    24
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyaboutbubs View Post
    All this bum tearing talk is making me feel queasy.

    I will be refusing an epi, just as I did in my birth plan with DD.

    If I'm going to tear I would rather it be natural.

    I think I researched it as best I could with DD and could find no evidence to suggest epi's are a better option. I would rather take the risk.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Exactly, you may not tear at all, so why cut. Sounds like youre in the right frame of mind. You can do it The second/third time is easier as you know what to expect.

    ps, I got 4th degree tears because of the drs. I birthed a similar sized baby (ds1 was 4.41kg, ds2 was 4.35kg) with a bigger head (ds was 36.5cm, ds2 was 37cm) in 3hrs with barely any pain. I refused interventions and breathed him out. I only tore because he had his palm, facing out, to his mouth. The middie couldnt tuck it in so when i got him to the wrist i tore. I only tore with dd because she had her hand to her cheek, in a fist, and she was posterior, and i was on my back and she needed to be out as quickly as i could manage. My tear with ds2 did NOT follow the old tears.
    Last edited by IndigoJ; 17-03-2014 at 21:04.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

    crazyaboutbubs  (18-03-2014)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Birth after 3rd or 4th degree tear
    By futuremamma in forum Birth & Labour Questions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 18-02-2014, 07:31
  2. C-Section or Vaginal Birth after 4th Degree Tear?
    By ManchesterLass in forum Birth & Labour Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-09-2013, 21:56
  3. TMI warning - 2nd degree tear bleeding
    By BrinnZiggy in forum Birth & Labour Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-04-2013, 20:42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Mother and Baby Shop
Save $$$ during our Christmas Sale Mother and Baby Shop
Great prices on Schoenhut kids pianos, toys, baby clothing as well as big brands like Pigeon, NUK, Cherub Baby and many more. Sale starts on 1 November 2016 and ends on the 27 December 2016. Hurry! Place your order today!
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Einsteinz Music
Fun & interactive music classes!
Classes are taught by professional musicians! Children are taught the fundamentals of music: beat, pitch, rhythm and tempo through hands-on experience. Click for more details!!!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!