+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Preparing for wisdom tooth removal

I'm getting my wisdom teeth out next Friday and I'm just wondering what people ate / drank following the surgery? Do I need to buy ice packs or will the hospital give me some? Any other tips?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I had 2 of mine removed at the same time. I had panadeine forte, but it really wasn't too bad. I just ate soft food for a few days. No idea about ice packs as I had mine done in the chair.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had 2 in the chair which was horrible, but the other 2 via surgery were a breeze I think I had some nurofen a couple of times but didn't need anything else! Soft foods, I didn't swell at all so didn't use ice packs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had all four out (plus another tooth next to one as my tooth had impacted on it and it was either that or a root canal)....
    I had a general anesthetic. The hospital gave me ice packs. Plus some pain killers. I swelled quite a lot. The ice was really important. Ask if the provide it otherwise you may need to make sure you have some.
    Soft food is good. Soups. ..scrambled eggs.. mashed potatoes.
    But chocolate mousse was the best thing I ate. Yummmmmm.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had mine all extracted under general. Buy some ice packs to have ready at home. My biggest mistake was coming out of hospital feeling absolutely fine, no pain etc. well, that night once the drugs wore off I was in such excruciating pain and my face ballooned as I hadn't put ice on it. They the told me I should have iced from the time I got home continuously for at least 24hrs.
    Also, the panadeine made me really constipated so keep some pear juice handy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! I'm having mine done under a general as I need all 4 out and they're all growing in wonky directions.

I just bought jelly crystals, chocolate yogo (hey if I ever needed an excuse to eat yogo, this is it), custard and pumpkin to maybe make pumpkin soup to freeze. Also bought potatoes so I can have mashed potato.

I have to go to the surgeons office today to pay so will ask about the ice packs.

Thanks so much for the tips, I'm trying to do as much prep as I can to keep me distracted from thinking about the anesthetic (I went under a general for my c-section and kept vomiting when I woke up, so scared to vomit when I have a sore mouth!) and the recovery!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    Thanks everyone! I'm having mine done under a general as I need all 4 out and they're all growing in wonky directions.

I just bought jelly crystals, chocolate yogo (hey if I ever needed an excuse to eat yogo, this is it), custard and pumpkin to maybe make pumpkin soup to freeze. Also bought potatoes so I can have mashed potato.

I have to go to the surgeons office today to pay so will ask about the ice packs.

Thanks so much for the tips, I'm trying to do as much prep as I can to keep me distracted from thinking about the anesthetic (I went under a general for my c-section and kept vomiting when I woke up, so scared to vomit when I have a sore mouth!) and the recovery!
    I was terrified of vomiting too. So I asked the anaethetist to put anti emetics in my drip. I told her to pump me full of every drug you've got!! Just ask. For a strong one and tell them why. Remember you are paying for it so you need to be taken care of.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post

I had all 4 out under general and I definitely suggest stocking up in ice packs so you have plenty in the freezer, my face swelled a crazy amount.

I lived on Yogo and mashed potato and gravy from KFC ( went down a treat lol).

I did vomit a few times after but it didn't hurt and I honestly felt better after ( I always get sick after anesthetic).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DreamyMummy For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (14-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd agree about talking to your anaesthetist about the vomiting. I had bad vomiting after previous general anaesthetics for laps but when I got my wisdom teeth out last year I had a separate appointment with the anaesthetist & he used strong anti-emetics & no gas & I didn't vomit once. As everyone else has said use the ice packs. Ask if you'll need anything else afterwards eg. I was told to use Savacol to rinse with until my stitches came out. I also took Sustagen & made fruit smoothies (don't use any fruit with pips tho!). I was freaking out about having them out but found it wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. Good Luck!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can you ask for twilight anaesthetic instead? I had all four taken out in the chair under twilight - much better than general and might prevent the vomiting?

I ended up on tramadol for the pain so I don't remember eating anything for the first day but after that home made soup blended up smoothly. Jelly and yogurt.

By the third or fourth day I could manage pasta.

Good Luck!!