+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Do all toddlers do this?!?!?

My 19 month old DD is driving me insane at meal times! She throws everything onto the floor, no matter what it is- at first it was slightly cute, cheeky toddler behaviour that I accepted and thought would get better after a few times of telling her 'no, we don't throw our food"...
    Well now it's really getting to me. I will make her toast and within minutes she has flung it across tbe room. Vegetables are swept off her tray within seconds and even feeding her at a small toddler table with a little chair makes no difference- as soon as my head is turned, her food is gone. Actually my head doesn't even need to be turned, she does it right in front of me. Nothing I say or do makes an ounce of difference- she just smiles at me and says "oh no" and will then ask where her food is- she doesn't understand that once it's on the floor she can't have it back. This is a constant battle, with every meal, every day. We did BLW so she rarely lets me spoon feed her, occasionally cereal and milk she will allow it, but even yesterday she suddenly grabbed the bowl of cereal and milk out of my hand and threw it across the room.
    Other than that, no behavioural probs whatsoever, no temper, she's a very happy baby. Even the food throwing is not done tantrum style, she just does it for fun, it seems.
    Anyone else having this issue? I'm so over it.

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh hell are you telling me they still do this at that age?! My ds is 15 months and has been doing it for a while. I'm trying to be patient and thinking it has to freaking pass soon.

It makes me MAD. I don't react because I'm sure he would do it even more if he got attention out of it but inside I want to flip out.

How much do they even eat? It's a miracle they grow. Even worse when they're tired.

Sorry I have nooooo advice and hope someone else can help us. :-) xxxx

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Funnels For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (13-03-2014),~Marigold~  (13-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Funnels View Post
    Oh hell are you telling me they still do this at that age?! My ds is 15 months and has been doing it for a while. I'm trying to be patient and thinking it has to freaking pass soon.

It makes me MAD. I don't react because I'm sure he would do it even more if he got attention out of it but inside I want to flip out.

How much do they even eat? It's a miracle they grow. Even worse when they're tired.

Sorry I have nooooo advice and hope someone else can help us. :-) xxxx
    lol..

And yes, I agree, it makes me mad too but like you, I have to keep my reaction in check. But I've tried ignoring, telling her off, even showing her that "mummy is cleaning your food, what a mess" as she likes and understands cleaning/things being dirty etc. But nothing changes. Sigh. So frustrating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My perfect child would never do that except on days ending in y lol
    He was so bad at it!! Drove me bonkers ! He just stopped after awhile .

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to happygirl1982 For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (13-03-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (14-03-2014),~Marigold~  (13-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD (also 19 months) was doing this for months and we were so over it. We decided to completely ignore it for a week and see what happened. No reaction what so ever, continued our conversation, didn't look at her when she did it, didn't pick the food up from the floor until she was out of the room. It may have been a coincidence but it worked 100%. This was about 2 months ago and she hasn't done it since.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

monnie24  (14-03-2014),~Marigold~  (13-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh gosh this drives me insane. My dd is 15 months and has been doing this for quite a while.
    I ignore it and never pick it up til later but it doesn't seem to make a difference. She does it with bowls plates.. half eaten food. .spoons... at the beginning middle or end of a meal. It makes no difference!!!!!
    Sometimes I think my head will explode trying to ignore it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (13-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD has done this and still does occasionally (2.5yo) when she's not really hungry. As soon as she throws food on the floor, meal time is over. No reaction other than taking the food away. We did this right from the start and it stops the behaviour pretty quickly. It was obvious she was doing it for attention as she'd often wait until we were looking before doing it. Once she realises we're not going to react/pick it up, she gives up.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (13-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I went to a feeding toddlers session at the a women's ad Children's Hospital.

They suggested that you do let them eat if from the floor. The main thug I took away from it was kids will eat when they are hungry, you can't force them.

Their said it's the parents responsibility to cook and provide and offer the good but the child's to eat.

If she does it again don't react, just take her out of her chair an tell we meal time is over. She can then choose to eat if off the floor or not eat at all. Eventually she will get the idea and stop knocking it over.

They said that kids won't starve themselves, they will eat when hungry, so if they won't eat for behavioral issues, let them decide how much and when they eat once it's been knocked over.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (13-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post

They suggested that you do let them eat if from the floor. The main thug I took away from it was kids will eat when they are hungry, you can't force them.

Their said it's the parents responsibility to cook and provide and offer the good but the child's to eat.

If she does it again don't react, just take her out of her chair an tell we meal time is over. She can then choose to eat if off the floor or not eat at all. Eventually she will get the idea and stop knocking it over.

They said that kids won't starve themselves, they will eat when hungry, so if they won't eat for behavioral issues, let them decide how much and when they eat once it's been knocked over.
    Not to derail... but this is actually not true. Some kids will starve themselves because they dont want to eat. My dd is one of them.
    so this advice from the children's hospital might work for some..but not everyone.

Sent from my GT-P5220 using The Bub Hub mobile app

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (13-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post

Do you mean let them it after it has fallen onto the floor or eat it on the floor, on a plate, like a picnic?
    She will and does eat it from the floor, if she's been sitting at her little table she will pick up the food she has thrown and shoves it in her mouth before I have the chance to stop her. I shudder to think about all the dirt, hair and fluff she has eaten, lol...

Oh so relieved to hear that I'm not alone. I don't recall DS ever doing it. It's really testing my patience lately.