Hopefully it gets passed.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Kiplusthree  (14-03-2014)

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaof4 View Post
    Lovely, I just discovered two paedophiles currently out and about in our very small town on Mako. We moved here to get away from the husband & wife team of paedophiles next door!

*please note that the info regarding several convictions may be upsetting*

Kiplusthree, if you start a blog or similar up, my DH would be more than happy to provide you with information regarding the protection and special treatment they receive in the prison system.
    I'm relatively open about what happened with DH, but dont often mention it specifically. But I'll give a slight idea of sentencing for sex offenders in comparison.
    DH served 11 mths, for financial crimes under $20,000 against a large company. This was due to a gambling issue I was unaware of. I don't however feel the sentence was harsh, but it's given me an insight into comparisons, and looking at other financial crimes in large companies (not against a specific person such as home invasion etc) made me see that money is valued more than a humans, often a childs, life. Please don't think I'm excusing what DH did, I'm just using it as a comparison.

So DH did 11 mths. Cowan did 14 mths for the rape and assualt of a 7 yr old boy. A high profile man here was going through a trial at the same time as DH with the exact same judge, after raping a 12 yr old girl a number of times. He walked free.
    What an absolute joke!

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept

Thanks
    Reviews
    - Brett Peter Cowan has been sentenced to a minimum of 20 years in jail after he was found guilty of murdering 13-year-old Daniel Morcombe.

“For the offence of murder the only sentence available is life imprisonment and yours is a case where that sentence is certainly appropriate,’’ Justice Roslyn Atkinson said.

“For the reasons set out by the learned prosecutor in his addres I am able to set a parole eligibility date later than 15 years, which is the statutory minimum.’’

She said in view of his criminal history and "enormity" of the crimes he had committed it was appropriate to set parole eligibility after 20 years served in jail.

“They should take into account that you are a plausible and opportunistic liar before they consider any view you might have about whether or not you have been rehabilitated,’’ she said. -

Not long enough! He needs to be in so long, that he dies behind bars.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lauzy For This Useful Post:

Wally90  (14-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lexim View Post
    I think it's 20 years minimum

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept
    Yep, it is. Life never mean life unfortunately.

Misho, sentences can be added on at any point. Further incidents can also come to light after the initial trial-not from that case, but others-and they can be charged and have extra sentences added on.
    However, it's up to the Judges discretion and the 3.5yrs for assualt can be added on consecutively (so 3.5 yrs on TOP of the original sentence) or concurrently which means the 3.5 yrs is alongside. Which unfortunately means all it does is record the conviction, but no actual extra time is served

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Just reading through the MAKO list again. One has stuck out at me. A man raped a 4 year old girl, did no jail time and is now living in a community in close proximity to the local school and daycare.

WTF???!!!!!!!

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree! People do much more time for much lessor crimes than sex offenses. I've heard of people doing much longer over traffic offenses or drugs (like you not belittling them, but still in comparison ruining a child's innocence is punished much more leniently, why??)

I think I will write an article for the hub. I'd love to get in contact and discuss your input further with you.

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0200 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ohhh I wonder if I could nab am interview with Jarrod.. thatd be interesting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why are the 3 sentences being served concurrently and not in addition too?? I heard on the news he received the maximum sentence the indecent treatment charge but he only got 3.5 years! Surely they are joking? How can indecently treating a child only be worth 3.5 years?!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think he should also serve an additional 11years for those years he spent as a free man - imagine what he could have done in that time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally90 View Post
    Why are the 3 sentences being served concurrently and not in addition too?? I heard on the news he received the maximum sentence the indecent treatment charge but he only got 3.5 years! Surely they are joking? How can indecently treating a child only be worth 3.5 years?!?
    Exactly. This needs to change!