+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So saying concurrently does that mean he serves 20 years not 27 years (or whatever it adds up to)?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    So saying concurrently does that mean he serves 20 years not 27 years (or whatever it adds up to)?
    Unfortunately, yes. The sentences will be recorded on his file, but no extra time is served. If they had been given consecutively, which often happens with mass murderers and serial killers, he would have to serve the minimum time on each sentence, so probably approx 25 yrs.

It's something our justice system really fails with, as many sex offenders are given concurrent sentences for each victim, so are therefore paroled a lot earlier, often commiting a similar crime during that period. The US tend to use it a lot more, so offenders are given a sentence for each victim, and when one sentence is up, the next one kicks in. It's not uncommon there to see sentences add up to 150 yrs odd, so they are never released.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mamaof4 For This Useful Post:

NoteToSelf  (14-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel sick reading about all these things. I mean it used to make me upset before I had a child, but now that I have my own little boy it's making me physically ill. I just can't understand how someone like that could get out of jail ever??? He deserves life, no parole, no second chances. Life should mean life!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rueblade For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaof4 View Post
    Lovely, I just discovered two paedophiles currently out and about in our very small town on Mako. We moved here to get away from the husband & wife team of paedophiles next door!

*please note that the info regarding several convictions may be upsetting*

Kiplusthree, if you start a blog or similar up, my DH would be more than happy to provide you with information regarding the protection and special treatment they receive in the prison system.
    I'm relatively open about what happened with DH, but dont often mention it specifically. But I'll give a slight idea of sentencing for sex offenders in comparison.
    DH served 11 mths, for financial crimes under $20,000 against a large company. This was due to a gambling issue I was unaware of. I don't however feel the sentence was harsh, but it's given me an insight into comparisons, and looking at other financial crimes in large companies (not against a specific person such as home invasion etc) made me see that money is valued more than a humans, often a childs, life. Please don't think I'm excusing what DH did, I'm just using it as a comparison.

So DH did 11 mths. Cowan did 14 mths for the rape and assualt of a 7 yr old boy. A high profile man here was going through a trial at the same time as DH with the exact same judge, after raping a 12 yr old girl a number of times. He walked free.
    That is so unfair . Your husband should've got weekend detention and the ability to continue working to support his family .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kiplusthree, I know DH would be happy to provide info as it's something he feels very strongly about.
    He only saw our children twice during those 11 months, and that was during kids day that the local church ran, and they made it a truly good experience in an otherwise horrible place.
    We had an agreement for me not to bring them in to visit. Paedophiles were allowed to have their visits in the same small, open room as everyone else. They could be at the table next to you and your children, and pick up information about them. They would share your childrens name, and what they looked like with their fellow rock spiders.
    DH also learnt early on to hide the one photo of us (he couldn't risk more than that) and also that photos of kids sent in were often copied and sold to them.

What isn't common knowledge is that most paedophiles (and we have some of Australias worst here) are in minimum security. Some of them who are there for a while are often working outside of the prison.

There are many people in there that are in for one great big screwup, and are never going to be in there again. Rehabilitation is easy for them, and they often just need some support, counselling or similar, and never do another thing wrong. But sex offenders are never rehabilitated, as they don't have the capacity to do so, and a good 99% will openly admit that they see nothing wrong with what they have done.
    And believe me, just because they are in prison, doesn't actually mean that they are behind bars and not out and about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiplusthree View Post
    You know what, I don't really know how it's done but I think it's time we acted on these feelings we all have towards this ridiculous justice system.

I'm going to start brainstorming and contacting any existing groups/foundations on the subject and see if I can't get a gathering going.

If anyone here knows the best way to create a request for law review and change, to make a difference and to raise a voice please let me know and get in contact.

If anyone would like to join me/help in researching, making contact and putting things together or sorting out the red tape/legalities (Ha!) Behind this please get in contact.

I think I'll contact the DM foundation to let them know I'm trying this and allowing them the chance to be a part.. I kind of think they must be exhausted and are probably getting hounded by media ATM so will leave it in their court..

Why don't we start with a Facebook group where we can gather information and discuss ideas? Would you join?

If bubhub will let me I'll write a blog post about what we're doing.

Who's in???

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0200 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I'm in. Something has to change! My mum is doing her masters in criminology and is currently working with professor Steven Smallbone who was the criminologist they interviewed on 7 news last night and he has been interviewing Cowan. I'm sure they might have some ideas so I will ask her what she thinks. Let me know about this Facebook group.

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaof4 View Post
    Unfortunately, yes. The sentences will be recorded on his file, but no extra time is served. If they had been given consecutively, which often happens with mass murderers and serial killers, he would have to serve the minimum time on each sentence, so probably approx 25 yrs.

It's something our justice system really fails with, as many sex offenders are given concurrent sentences for each victim, so are therefore paroled a lot earlier, often commiting a similar crime during that period. The US tend to use it a lot more, so offenders are given a sentence for each victim, and when one sentence is up, the next one kicks in. It's not uncommon there to see sentences add up to 150 yrs odd, so they are never released.
    This is what needs to happen!

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just saw a news thing on the Gold Coast news and weather Facebook page that apparently the inmates in the prison he is going to have already starting to plan his death.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm absolutely outraged by this sentence. In 20 years when he gets out , he WILL reoffend.

That's a given.

What is WRONG with our judges!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally90 View Post
    I'm in. Something has to change! My mum is doing her masters in criminology and is currently working with professor Steven Smallbone who was the criminologist they interviewed on 7 news last night and he has been interviewing Cowan. I'm sure they might have some ideas so I will ask her what she thinks. Let me know about this Facebook group.
    I will join. And share to everyone on my page.