+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Guns....piercing needles.... Why are people ok with these terms being mentioned in the same sentence as a baby?

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (14-03-2014),bunkx  (13-03-2014),CitrusRainxxx  (14-03-2014),CMF  (14-03-2014),emzluvbub  (14-03-2014),Gentoo  (14-03-2014),Happymum2  (14-03-2014),headoverfeet  (14-03-2014),JR03  (14-03-2014),kezanazz  (14-03-2014),Lennie  (14-03-2014),MayoBean  (17-03-2014),Mummy Potato  (14-03-2014),NAT256  (14-03-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (14-03-2014),SoThisIsLove  (14-03-2014),Tainted  (14-03-2014),Tazzy  (14-03-2014),VanityFey  (14-03-2014),Wise Enough  (28-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    Because of the mechanism involved and the fact that the earrings are relatively blunt compared to a proper needle, there are a few problems.
    Firstly, there is microscopic blood splatter when the earring goes into the ear, which can end up on the gun. The guns cannot be properly sterilised because of how they are made so they are usually just wiped over with alcohol. Not good enough to kill blood-born pathogens, so you would want to hope that the person who got done before you doesn't have HIV.
    There is also the issue of blunt force trauma caused by using an earring to pierce the skin. The site of the piercing ends up jagged rather than being a clean hole, so it doesn't heal properly/quickly and is therefore open to infections for a lot longer.
    I have also noticed that most of the people using these guns are clearly not trained in proper sterile procedure eg they will put their gloves on, then touch their face, hair, the counter etc with their gloves on, making the gloves basically useless, then go on to touch the earrings or the persons skin that they are about to pierce. The chemist that I had mine done at before I knew better didn't even have a separate room for ear piercing, they just did it right there in the store, putting the earrings, gun etc down on the counter that god knows how many people touch throughout the day.
    Good answer! What you described is exactly how my ears were pierced when I was 12. They just pulled a chair up to the counter, got the gun out of the draw, I don't remember them wearing gloves though and bang bang it's done. Pretty unprofessional and very unsterile! I also got the gun used for my ears when I was 16, I regret not getting it done with needle (I was scared it'd hurt like getting my belly done lol), and it never healed, I have rock hard scar tissue behind them and they always got bright red if they got knocked and were a real pain to deal with. I eventually let them heal up and just re pieced them with a proper needle myself and it healed fine first go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Id wait till she is old enough to choose & to look after them herself.

And please get them done with a needle. I have 2 piercings in each ear, the first my parents got done with a needle when I was 12 & the second I made the mistake of getting done with a gun a few yeads ago. The needle ones were easier & much less traumstic & I dont remember them hurting as much as the gunned ones did. Also, im still having issues with the gunned ones, one has never healed totally completely & I can still only wear titanium earrings (but can wear whatever I like in the other ones).

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have huge amounts of scar tissue in my earlobes from getting mine pierced (they used a gun) and the scar tissue grew over the holes and closed them anyway. The scar tissue is quite painful at times. Piercing isn't something I would choose for my kids but if you do choose to go ahead with it please research it very very carefully so your child doesn't have any issues from it in the long term

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had my own pierced as a child (aged 4 or 5 from memory), done with a gun at a chemist as PP's have described, no problems.
    But then I went by myself as a teenager to get the tops of my ears done, (gun used again, in a chemist) which resulted in a very painful infection, a big lump began to form behind my ear and the pain was disgusting. I ended up on antibiotics and felt like my head would explode. I'd only had the earring in for a few days but today, 15 years later, I can still feel a pea sized lump on my ear.
    I think the majority of people had theirs done with a gun :/ I didn't know any better. Gosh, I remember trying to pierce my own navel with a safety pin!
    FTR, I no longer wear earrings.

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was 16, I got the top of my ear pierced with a gun. I ended up in hospital for 5 days, on IV antibiotics with a golden staph infection. I had to be transferred to a hospital with a resident plastic surgeon as I nearly lost my ear.
    There is also only the finest layer of bone separating the ear from the brain, the infection spreading into my brain was a very real possibility.
    Please wait until your child is old enough to make the decision for herself. She has a whole lifetime to torture herself in the name of "beauty", should she wish to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I second everyone's comments on the guns. Traumatic, loud, painful and disgustingly dirty.
    I'm not a firm believer in permanently altering another persons body without their permission. In my head, it's not right. Babies can't give permission or ask for it. I'm sure your baby is beautiful without sparkly bits in her ear lobes.
    Just wait until she is older and then take her to a professional. Not some 15 yr old in a chemist who learnt how to point a gun at an ear lobe in her lunch break.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roopee For This Useful Post:

Mummy Potato  (14-03-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (14-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got my daughter done at my tattooist & piercers. Pm me for her contact details. Just near jenny and gerrys bridal

She uses a catheter method needle and vegan/organic aftercare treatment.

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

NewMrs  (14-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Also if you do get them done, make sure they use decent quality jewellery. Most of the places that pierce with guns use the dodgy gold plated stuff or cheap jewellery & I got a massive infection from those when I had my gunned ones done.

I think the professional places pierce with stainless steel (or titanium in some cases) which I believe is meant to be better for a healing piercing & less likely to cause allergies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    Because of the mechanism involved and the fact that the earrings are relatively blunt compared to a proper needle, there are a few problems.
    Firstly, there is microscopic blood splatter when the earring goes into the ear, which can end up on the gun. The guns cannot be properly sterilised because of how they are made so they are usually just wiped over with alcohol. Not good enough to kill blood-born pathogens, so you would want to hope that the person who got done before you doesn't have HIV.
    There is also the issue of blunt force trauma caused by using an earring to pierce the skin. The site of the piercing ends up jagged rather than being a clean hole, so it doesn't heal properly/quickly and is therefore open to infections for a lot longer.
    I have also noticed that most of the people using these guns are clearly not trained in proper sterile procedure eg they will put their gloves on, then touch their face, hair, the counter etc with their gloves on, making the gloves basically useless, then go on to touch the earrings or the persons skin that they are about to pierce. The chemist that I had mine done at before I knew better didn't even have a separate room for ear piercing, they just did it right there in the store, putting the earrings, gun etc down on the counter that god knows how many people touch throughout the day.
    Very good explanation. Thanks!