+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ear Piercing for baby girl

Hi Mummies

I would like to know where can I have my baby girl ears pierced ?! I'm living in Norwood, Adelaide, South Australia.
    I need a place that I can trust hygienically!
    Anyone can help me?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Terry white does it usually, but just be aware you are likely to be absolutely flamed for posting this question on a parenting forum lol good luck

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PipersMummy For This Useful Post:

Mummy Potato  (14-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hygenically the best way to get it done is at a proper body piercing place that does it with a sterilized needle. The guns are not able to be properly cleaned and when piercing is done with them you run the risk of contracting hep c or something equally as horrible.

I had my daughters done with a gun before I knew this and I regret it so much now, luckily she didn't get any diseases from having them done but I shudder to think what could have happened

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rodeobull For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (13-03-2014),DarcyJ  (13-03-2014),Izzys Dragon  (13-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    They us a different gun now to prevent that from Happening they are disposable, one use type things but it's nowhere near as fast I took my niece and she wasn't impressed, she was 8 at the time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not everywhere uses disposable guns. But aside from the hygiene issue, they also cause tissue trauma which takes a lot longer to heal and leaves the piercing at a much higher risk of infection. Also, the training they do is very minimal and they don't generally practice very good hygiene and they don't usually have a sterile piercing environment.
    Please don't get your baby's ears pierced until she is old enough to have them done by a professional with sterile piercing needles, those guns are truly horrible and I can see no good reason to subject a baby to pain for the sake of 'beauty'. I'm sure she's beautiful as she is!

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (13-03-2014),cluckcluck  (13-03-2014),Izzys Dragon  (13-03-2014),JR03  (14-03-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (13-03-2014),SoThisIsLove  (14-03-2014),VicPark  (13-03-2014),Wise Enough  (28-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you really want them done, find a reputable body piercer (usually at a tattoo parlour) and get them to do it with a needle.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (13-03-2014),Izzys Dragon  (13-03-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (13-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As said above - if you must get it done then go to a proffessional piercer. The guns can do so much damage & it is highly questionable how hygenic they are. If I had known what I do now when I was 10 and was allowed my first ear-rings I would have never got them done with a gun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't intend on getting my dds ears pierced unless she is old enough to want them, but just out of curiosity why is it unhygienic to use the gun? I used to work in a pharmacy and we used the gun but the earrings used to pierce the ear were brand new out of a sterile pack..from memory nothing ever touched the ear except the earring? This was many years ago so things may have changed. I'm just curious so if my dd does want them done one day I know what to look out for. And for what's its worth I wouldn't go to a pharmacy.. We got very little training where I worked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you MUST pierce your babies ears, then go to a professional body piercer. NOT a pharmacist or alike with a piercing gun. It's unhygienic, and rips the skin, let alone will most likely be very off centered. Coming from someone who has stretched lobes, I wouldn't be doing it in the first place. You may not see it this way but putting a needle through their tiny ears would feel horrible for them! It literally would be peircing AND stretching at the same time, because of the needle (gun or proper) size they do it with. I would wait until your child has grown a bit (along with their little ears!) before deciding to put holes in their body.

Quick, someone grab me a can opener! *Can of worms opened!* lol.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pusheen The Cat For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (13-03-2014),Happymum2  (13-03-2014),kezanazz  (14-03-2014),SoThisIsLove  (14-03-2014),VanityFey  (13-03-2014),VicPark  (13-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dollypops View Post
    I don't intend on getting my dds ears pierced unless she is old enough to want them, but just out of curiosity why is it unhygienic to use the gun? I used to work in a pharmacy and we used the gun but the earrings used to pierce the ear were brand new out of a sterile pack..from memory nothing ever touched the ear except the earring? This was many years ago so things may have changed. I'm just curious so if my dd does want them done one day I know what to look out for. And for what's its worth I wouldn't go to a pharmacy.. We got very little training where I worked.
    Because of the mechanism involved and the fact that the earrings are relatively blunt compared to a proper needle, there are a few problems.
    Firstly, there is microscopic blood splatter when the earring goes into the ear, which can end up on the gun. The guns cannot be properly sterilised because of how they are made so they are usually just wiped over with alcohol. Not good enough to kill blood-born pathogens, so you would want to hope that the person who got done before you doesn't have HIV.
    There is also the issue of blunt force trauma caused by using an earring to pierce the skin. The site of the piercing ends up jagged rather than being a clean hole, so it doesn't heal properly/quickly and is therefore open to infections for a lot longer.
    I have also noticed that most of the people using these guns are clearly not trained in proper sterile procedure eg they will put their gloves on, then touch their face, hair, the counter etc with their gloves on, making the gloves basically useless, then go on to touch the earrings or the persons skin that they are about to pierce. The chemist that I had mine done at before I knew better didn't even have a separate room for ear piercing, they just did it right there in the store, putting the earrings, gun etc down on the counter that god knows how many people touch throughout the day.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (14-03-2014),SoThisIsLove  (14-03-2014)