+ Reply to Thread
    Eco Goddess is offline Loving life under the Bodhi tree!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Advice wanted please!

My son is almost 4 and has part time co slept since he was a bub. This was always fine (so please no judgement on co-sleeping) as we all got sleep, however now between him and his 11mth old sister (who part time co sleeps) and DF working night shift, it feels like no one is getting sleep. How can we get him to stay in his own bed? He has a great bunk bed with a tent over the top that he loves, has teddies, a water bottle, a night light on. We have tried talking to him, taking him back to bed and even (the shame!) bribery! He likes to play Mario Kart for half hour while I cook dinner and so we said that unless he stays in his own bed there is no Mario kart. Didn't work! He isn't upset or anything when he comes in. He is an excellent communicator and when we ask him why he comes in he doesn't really have a reason, "I just do" he says he isnt scared in his room, likes his bed etc.

T.I.A

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's probably a case of breaking the habit. You will have to be consistent & keep taking him back to his bed. It might mean a few tough nights but it will be better in the long run.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would try and get him to sleep on a mattress on the floor next to your bed and get him used to sleeping in his own space but still close to you. Once he is settled doing that try to get him to settle in his own bed but have the mattress still there in case he wakes during the night. Eventually you can put the mattress in his room and if he wakes during the night put him back in his bed/mattress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you both. Will keep persevering. The mattress might be a good idea!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootenanny View Post
    I would try and get him to sleep on a mattress on the floor next to your bed and get him used to sleeping in his own space but still close to you. Once he is settled doing that try to get him to settle in his own bed but have the mattress still there in case he wakes during the night. Eventually you can put the mattress in his room and if he wakes during the night put him back in his bed/mattress.
    Hi Eco, another co-sleeper here we ended up moving our boys into a Q bed next to our bed as a first step, they slept there for quiet a while just to get them use to sleeping without being physically in contact with us than we moved them to their own room, this took us months but I cannot after doing CIO with DS1 as a baby handle them being upset so we took a very gentle approach. You could also look at just a foam fold out couch for your room along with a sleeping bag if you didn't want to move he mattress. As I type that I remember going through a stage where they would go to bed in their room but would move to our room in the night, we were ok with that, as time went along we just took them back more often (no tears). Now they still come in once/twice a night but have nights that they do not come in at all and they mostly take themselves back

Good luck xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you headoverfeet, sometimes it is enough to know I'm not alone. A few "friends" and family have done the "I told you so" about co sleeping! Will try the mattress idea