+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Ex on the lease?

I need to move house as my current rental has been sold. I have until early April to find somewhere else. I have applied for 4 properties now and keep getting knocked back. I need to stay in this area so I don't have to change schools for my DD (we've been through enough change already this year) but the rentals are move expensive and there is a lot of competition. I can technically afford the rent but compared to a dual income family I obviously earn less. My ex has said he will pay my rent as child support any amount that is above what I currently pay. So my question is, am I allowed to put him on the lease to help secure a property? I mean as far as CL goes, will this affect my payments? He lives interstate so there is no way he lives with me but I'm getting desperate now. He said he's willing to go on the lease to help me out and so his kids have somewhere to live (I think he is finally realising what an a hole he was) Has anyone else had to do this or have experience with it? The alternative is having my parents move with me but they are on pensions and don't get a lot of $$ either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I work in commercial real estate and it's been a while since I was in residential, but I think you would be able to put him on as guarantor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I've done this. I put my ex down to give of the impression that we would all be living together. I had no issues with centrelink. You can make an appointment with a social worker to explain yourself and have notes put on your file. The one I saw said it was actually really common for ex's to be moving back in together simply because rent is so unaffordable.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing as I'm interested to hear what others think about adding someone to the lease/guarantor (didn't know you could put a guarantor on a lease!).

Ugh, renting is so difficult these days!

Best of luck with it all FlipFlop!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello!
    Adding your ex to your lease means that if he is listed on a rent certificate or lease completed by your real estate your rent assistance may be affected ( you may only receive the sharers rate) and you also will be asked a living arrangements question set. This may also lead to completing more forms ( the questions include your relationship history with the person and wether you share children etc.) I would avoid it if possible that being said rentals are hard to get and if you aren't worried about answering a few extra questions and can happily prove he lives elsewhere if you have to then listing him might be necessary! Good luck!
    Last edited by Fashionvictim; 13-03-2014 at 07:26.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fashionvictim For This Useful Post:

bhjules  (15-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can also get a bond loan too if that's a issue . Also when applying maybe say all rent with be paid through centrepay so they know they will get it before your paid from centrelink and can't spend it as such . Good luck x my sister is looking in same area as you ( from your profile postcode ) and she's struggling too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by happygirl1982 View Post
    You can also get a bond loan too if that's a issue . Also when applying maybe say all rent with be paid through centrepay so they know they will get it before your paid from centrelink and can't spend it as such . Good luck x my sister is looking in same area as you ( from your profile postcode ) and she's struggling too
    Thanks for the advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my ex and I split at the start pf 2010 we signed a lease together just so I had no problems finding a place.

I didnt have any trouble getting rent assistance. Since then though I habe only applied in my name (until we moved into this house) where my fiancee signed too... I have a perfect rent ledger

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app