+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sticking hands down throat - gagging and vomiting

Ok so the last couple of days my dd has been putting her hands into her throat until she gags. Today she actually made herself vomit twice because of it. Is this normal? How do I stop it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following! My. 17 month old is doing this. At first I thought he had a scratchy throat and was trying to relieve it but now it's a game to him and he also does it when he gets told no or has something taken off him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following. While mine doesn't physically put his hands down his throat, he was burping continuously and swallowing air to make himself vomit.. It happened to coincide with me bringing his little sister home and spaced about a week apart. Nothing for a few weeks though, so watching closely as it could have been a bug. It just happened to coincide with her getting attention..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine does this now and then - hand down the back of the mouth and gagging. He's 19 months. Has been doing it on and off for a while, since age one or maybe before. He's also made himself spew a couple times doing it.

I thought it had something to do with teething. But now I get the impression he does it because he likes the feeling of it. I try not to make a fuss of it so that it doesn't turn into an attention grabbing thing. Like sticking his finger up his nose or playing with his willy... it's not going to hurt him.
    Last edited by debsch; 13-03-2014 at 08:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dd has done this. It's almost like they are exploring the reaction. She's done this with her hands and now sometimes with food she shoves so much in her mouth she gags and spits it out. Then does it again.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 used to do this when he was around 18 months, but with objects (spoon or toy or whatever). I think like a PP mentioned they are exploring the reaction. I tried not to make a big deal when I saw him doing it, just said 'oh, owwies! we don't stick things down our throat, you'll hurt yourself', then redirected. he thaught it was quite amusing, so I didn't draw too much attention and he eventually stopped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine does this but without the vomiting. She doesnt do it all the time but when she does I have found its best to just ignore it. If I try to stop her she thinks its hilarious and does it more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've had friends' kids do this and they got a great reaction out of their parents so they kept on doing it. For them it was an attention thing, ie. when they didn't want to go to bed, Mum would come running upon hearing the noise.

It's a hard one because you don't want to ignore it completely as they could be really choking on something, but perhaps be a little sneaky in how you check on them. I'd be firm when telling them not to do it as it's a safety thing with the kids sticking objects down there - you don't want them choking on stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Attention grabbing even at 3 months? Thanks everyone for your responses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your dd is only 3 months, I'd be getting her looked over by a gp. Something could be bothering her or her throat is sore.