+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I find it a bit sad that they don't feel they should apply common hygiene practices to food for the homeless.

It might be free food and the recipients may be desperate, but sheesh - floor rolls? Not cool.
    Last edited by Mod-Degrassi; 13-03-2014 at 14:28. Reason: missing word

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (12-03-2014),cluckcluck  (12-03-2014),HearMeRoar  (12-03-2014),KaraB  (12-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have do e the same thing, and they wouldn't collect from my bakery again if I had a report like that.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zabella View Post
    I would have do e the same thing, and they wouldn't collect from my bakery again if I had a report like that.
    Honestly the woman at the bakery sounded more concerned that I was going to rock the boat and the organisation would pull out and leave them with all the surplus to dispose of.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    So sad, everyone should be treated with respect, and receive safe food. Can you imagine if the same volunteers collect meat? Other perishables?? The lady at the bakery should be more concerned that she is legally responsible for the safety of that product until it reaches that homeless person at the end of the line. Allowing poor handling is a liability. I would worry if they take all their food safety responsibilities as seriously :-0
    Last edited by Zabella; 12-03-2014 at 19:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When i was homeless and had been given free food most of it was mouldy or near expired cans of food. When i asked about it the church group handing it out told me to be quiet and be damn grateful that society gave the homeless food at all. :/
    Last edited by Lottiemum; 12-03-2014 at 20:13. Reason: mistype

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lottiemum For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (12-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lottiemum View Post
    When i was homeless and had been given free food most of it was mouldy or near expired cans of food. When i asked about it the church group handing it out told me to be quiet and be damn grateful that society gave the homeless food at all. :/
    Yes that's accurate- I have been homeless too and experienced the same thing

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lottiemum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KaraB View Post
    Yes that's accurate- I have been homeless too and experienced the same thing
    I'm so sorry that you have had had to experience that.

I was pleased that the organisation seemed to take the matter seriously and stated that they intended to address it.

I work in an organisation that provides homeless service and I was telling a colleague about all of this today he was joking that I was going to have to take the matter to our big boss....whom I've never met. But it wasn't our organisation. Phew.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

VanityFey  (12-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    SPG, I'm so glad you said something.
    With 4 kids often dropping food a bread roll would probably come under the 3 second rule lol, but thats us deciding the food is/isn't ok, not someone else. It's the attitude of the staff believing that those of us in that situation should be grateful. Having been there, we very much are, but a paying customer wouldn't be expected to be grateful for food dropped on the ground, and someone who isn't paying for it is just as equal.

KaraB & Lottiemum, I'm sorry you had to go through that as I went through something similar, and it makes you feel like cr@p.
    During my first week in temp housing I asked my 'support worker' if we could please get a hamper, as at the shelter the workers from that org who held info sessions told us that we could ask for a hamper a week if needed. There's only a couple of bits of furniture this orgs temp housing, so many women would use the little they had left after rent for blankets or sleeping bag for the kids as you generally have nothing (and it's freezing!).

I won't go into it here, but suffice to say we never again asked for food or anything else. Your notes would state you were recieving these things such as food, essentials, counselling etc as it was required for funding, as they were paid per 'client'. Anglicare counselled me 'off the books', so the org i was with wouldn't know thankfully, as they had already destroyed every shred of dignity I had left

It's extremely humiliating to ask someone for food-especially a charity-to have them make you feel like scum. You are in such a desperate position to need it, so you allow the judgement and opinions as you have no choice.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mamaof4 For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (13-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaof4 View Post
    SPG, I'm so glad you said something.
    With 4 kids often dropping food a bread roll would probably come under the 3 second rule lol, but thats us deciding the food is/isn't ok, not someone else. It's the attitude of the staff believing that those of us in that situation should be grateful. Having been there, we very much are, but a paying customer wouldn't be expected to be grateful for food dropped on the ground, and someone who isn't paying for it is just as equal.

KaraB & Lottiemum, I'm sorry you had to go through that as I went through something similar, and it makes you feel like cr@p.
    During my first week in temp housing I asked my 'support worker' if we could please get a hamper, as at the shelter the workers from that org who held info sessions told us that we could ask for a hamper a week if needed. There's only a couple of bits of furniture this orgs temp housing, so many women would use the little they had left after rent for blankets or sleeping bag for the kids as you generally have nothing (and it's freezing!).

I won't go into it here, but suffice to say we never again asked for food or anything else. Your notes would state you were recieving these things such as food, essentials, counselling etc as it was required for funding, as they were paid per 'client'. Anglicare counselled me 'off the books', so the org i was with wouldn't know thankfully, as they had already destroyed every shred of dignity I had left

It's extremely humiliating to ask someone for food-especially a charity-to have them make you feel like scum. You are in such a desperate position to need it, so you allow the judgement and opinions as you have no choice.
    Spot on! I don't think people realize that there is most often a limit on what you can receive in terms if food hampers and or vouchers. But then how does anyone know unless you end up in that horrible position of needing it. In my experience hampers are far and few between. Most if what I was given at the time were random almost expired cans of chickpeas and a loaf of uncut bread without a packet and maybe a bunch of herbs and doughnuts for some weird reason :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KaraB View Post
    Spot on! I don't think people realize that there is most often a limit on what you can receive in terms if food hampers and or vouchers. But then how does anyone know unless you end up in that horrible position of needing it. In my experience hampers are far and few between. Most if what I was given at the time were random almost expired cans of chickpeas and a loaf of uncut bread without a packet and maybe a bunch of herbs and doughnuts for some weird reason :/
    OMG the chickpeas! And the tins of 3 bean mix & curry stew lol. I got quite a few tins of those in my hamper from the org I was with even though they knew that I had nothing to at least warm them in, and I hadn't yet been able to afford a can opener!

I forgot that I DID get a second hamper at X'mas. But it wasn't from the org (but they very grudgingly delivered it) but from the Commonwealth bank. Their staff all donated towards them for families in temp housing, and it was lovely. Chocolates for the kids, biscuits, custard, x'mas pudding and a $30 voucher! The kids were over the moon!
    It was our one and only voucher for the whole 9 mths we were in temp housing under that charity (most do them monthly)and it didn't even come from them
    It sounds strange, but in a lot of cases it's alot easier to access services if you are not homeless or in temp housing.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mamaof4 For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (13-03-2014)