+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Sometimes people really disappoint me :(

Yesterday I was sitting in the car in front of a bakery waiting for dh who was in the supermarket. The bakery was closing and there was a lady loading the leftover bread in boxes into her car. She dropped 3 rolls on the ground of the car park and picked them up and put them in the boxes with the rest of the bread.

I assumed that the bread was headed for charity/homeless shelter or something along those lines so I called the bakery this morning and asked the person on the phone who takes their bread and she told me who she though it was but asked that I call back later when the other worker was on. So I called back and the second worker confirmed which organisation took their bread but then went on to downplay the fact that the floor bread had been put back with the rest of the bread because 'it's for homeless people'. I may have gone on give her a teeny tiny lecture, but seriously, is this not a very sad situation, for people to think homeless people should be ok with dirty food.

(Btw, I contacted the organisation so they can train their volunteers in safe food handling. I'm *that* person.)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (13-03-2014),Chillies  (12-03-2014),fullofhope  (13-03-2014),HearMeRoar  (12-03-2014),kriista  (12-03-2014),LoCo  (13-03-2014),LoveLivesHere  (12-03-2014),MrsJoey  (12-03-2014),Serenity Love  (13-03-2014),~BEXTER~  (12-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think it's a big deal chucking them back in as I would do it if it was food for myself but the attitude "it's for homeless" stinks . I think that attitude ends readjusting

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to happygirl1982 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-03-2014),DesperatelySeekingSleep  (12-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    That is horrid.

When I was younger I part of group that took food out to the homeless. We had to all the same course as if we were selling the food. We had to use a commercial kitchen. We were so careful. We thought of it this way. The homeless are one group of people that are higher risk of illness so we did our upmost to make our small part of their lives as healthy as we could.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (12-03-2014),PinkPopsicle  (12-03-2014),Shanaynay  (12-03-2014),SpecialPatrolGroup  (12-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most of the organizations that collect from our bakery do it for animal feed... And I know a lot of bakery owners, and I would say 80% goes to animal feed, and most of them would just say 'to charity' or let people think it was for the homeless. If it was in boxes, not food safe see through bags, then you would think it is going to animal feed. It is almost impossible to find a human charity to collect bread, as it is too perishable, and too large a volume for them to handle :-(

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zabella For This Useful Post:

Shanaynay  (12-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be extremely upset if I knew it was for people and treated like that. I wouldn't let them collect from me again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I know of lots of churches that collect from local bakeries. The big chain bakery gives it out for cow feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happygirl1982 View Post
    I don't think it's a big deal chucking them back in as I would do it if it was food for myself but the attitude "it's for homeless" stinks . I think that attitude ends readjusting
    For yourself is fine. I don't think it is a decision you should be making for others that you don't even know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's disgusting ! I'm glad you called the company. Homeless people deserve the same respect as everyone else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think most homeless people would rather have 'dirty' food than no food, and it is highly unlikely that the food would have become contaminated in such a short amount of time on the ground. I think I would have been more upset if she had wasted them and made some poor homeless person miss out on eating breakfast the next day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Zabella View Post
    Most of the organizations that collect from our bakery do it for animal feed... And I know a lot of bakery owners, and I would say 80% goes to animal feed, and most of them would just say 'to charity' or let people think it was for the homeless. If it was in boxes, not food safe see through bags, then you would think it is going to animal feed. It is almost impossible to find a human charity to collect bread, as it is too perishable, and too large a volume for them to handle :-(
    Well that's why I checked and the organisation confirmed that they do collect from there and even told me which shelter it goes to.
    Darcyj, it was 3 individual rolls and the entire back seat of the car was full of bread. It was a small sacrifice. What if that bread had landed where someone who was sick had just spat and it was given to a person with a compromised immune system? That is why we have food standards, to protect the vulnerable.
    Last edited by SpecialPatrolGroup; 12-03-2014 at 19:17.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (12-03-2014),KaraB  (12-03-2014)