+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do I stop ANTS eating my CAT. Help!!

Yep you read that right. My cat likes to sleep at the back door but there is always a large trail of ants there and they get all over my cat and attack him to the point where he has large bald patches all over. Sometimes those patches have sores in the from where the ants are eating away at him.

How do I get rid of the ants? I have ant rid but cant use cos obviously it would harm my cat.
    Or is there a way I can deter them.. if getting rid of them completely doesn't work?

Any suggestions on how I can help my sweet boy. (Ps. He is an inside only cat. He wont sleep elsewhere (hiding spot from the toddler)
    Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg hate ants! They drive me nuts! Always get into my dishes, empty sinks, bins and cat food! Even find them on my counter even when it's clean! There's nests friggen everywhere in my yard.
    I would probably use the ant rid outside the door since you said the cat is an inside only cat. Try and find the nest. And if you spray and kill any ants make sure to clean up all of the dead ants cuz for some reason they are attracted to the dead ants and come in large groups to bring them back to the nest.

Mummy of DS born July 2012

Expecting #2 June 2014

Excuse the iPhone auto-fail.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sprinkle some cinnamon over the area. Ants hate cinnamon and will stay away for a while. You do have to keep doing it though. Vinegar also works but the smell can be a bit strong.

Vinegar would probably make your cat find another place to sleep too so might be a good thing.

Ants suck, we have had ants as long as i can remember. You'll NEVER get rid of them, though you can control them.

Poor puddy cat!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow that's weird! Do they bite your cat? Do you frontline (or similar) your cat? I wonder if that would work like it does with fleas? Is your cat clean...like no sores or rolling in something ants may like?
    The only thing I can think of is to pest control the area, put a barrier of powder around or get your cat off the ground....cats love window hammocks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Could you try on of those automated pest control sprayers that you get from the supermarket?
    I had ants all through my house and got one of these and it seemed to put an end to the problem.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Use ant sand all around the outside of your home to kill them off. Poor kitty!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I heard cornflour is a good option. They take it back to their nest, eat it and they can't actually digest it and die. I have ants in my kitchen daily at one stage
    - popped a pile of it on the shelf and I haven't had any since.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to caribbean For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (12-03-2014)