+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default DHEA; side effects & did it help?

Hi all, we're looking to cycle soon to try for baby number 2. I'll be 41 in August, my antral follicle count was 14 which FS said is pretty standard but my AMH is only 4 which my FS said was a little low & a number he'd usually see in women a few years older. He didn't seem too concerned as he seems to go more by the follicle count than the AMH. We only have enough finance for one stim cycle (and any frozens if we are lucky enough) & the FS has suggested that dhea might increase our chances of some good eggies. I should say that apart from Hashimotos I don't appear to have any real fertility issues. We are doing IVF because my DH has a zero sperm count.

Has anyone used Dhea? If so how were the side effects? Would you say it was worth it? To me the side effects sound pretty full on if it doesn't help egg quality. On the other hand IVF is so gruelling that we want to give it our best shot, we realise that we were so lucky to conceive our son on our 3rd cycle last time. But we just want to give it one more shot for a sibling for him. Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just bumping this now it's day time... Anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used dhea with our successful cycle 25mg per day. My AMH was 1 with an AFC of about 10. I took it for 6 weeks beforehand (ideal time is 3 months I think). Honestly did not notice any side effects but was also on estrogen for a "small uterus" as well. Similar # of eggs collected as first (unsuccessful) cycle, but more embryos at day 6: cycle 1 = 2 blasts from 5 eggs, cycle 2 = 4 blasts from 7 eggs. We also used elonva/luveris instead of just gonal + pred for immune factors. I think the whole combo made the difference. Although I am 31 so it's a premature ovarian failure issue for me. Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (12-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried dhea... The cycle before it I got 7 eggs 2 transferred no frosties BFP. Daughter born. After three months of dhea the following cycle I got 20+ eggs 2transfered BFP chemical and 14 frosties... Then FET 2 transferred BFP son born 12 frosties. Going to try for #3 now. Side effects ranged from oily hair and skin , pimples, restlessness, etc...... But I do think it helped me, including steroids for immune issues and help the embies stick around.... My daughter was cycle 20. The cycle before that I collected 20+ eggs too and none fertilised. We were guttered. When you have nothing to loose and everything to gain, you gotta try it all. Good luck .

6. The Following User Says Thank You to katiana For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (12-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that, so it sounds like for you both it made a difference & the side effects sound bearable. We'd really love to give it our best shot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Symptoms I noticed at first was a few more pimples/slight oilyness to hair/need to shave a little more often but apart from that can't really complain.
    I was on it for 2 mths last time and can't say it had much of an effect, this time will be over 5 so hoping it will help. I heard u should be on it at least 3-4 mths before u might see an effect gl