+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Studying online, who do you study through?

Hi just wondering if you study online who you study through? How did you decide on that place to study through? There are so many places online I can't choose!

Do you think you get enough support to be able to complete your studies? I haven't studied since high school so wondering if I will be able to keep up.

I've heard some places charge double for distance ed what a course would cost if you did it on campus is that true?

Any help or experience would be great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just finished a Cert IV in Bookkeeping through OTEN. I found it terrible. There was a distinct lack of support, their reference material was full of mistakes - you had to get your assignment, then check in another area to see whether there were any corrections that needed to be done as they wouldn't correct the assignment questions once it had been uploaded even if they knew there was a mistake.

There are a lot more online tutorials now than when I started 2 years ago, so that's a plus. But if you are having problems with an assignment question and call for help they tell you that they can't help with specific questions, but they don't have any other examples they can work through with you - I was told just to submit what I had done and get it graded and fix the mistakes from their feedback

I wouldn't recommend them at all.

I also hadn't done any study since high school, but I think if the material and support had been better I would have been fine. A friend of mine did her Cert IV in Bookkeeping through Cengage and found them to be excellent. I borrowed her course material and it was heaps better than what I got through OTEN and really helped me understand some things I was just not understanding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am nearly finished a cert 3 in education support through OTEN and I find it absolutely brilliant!

They are very supportive and have answered any questions I have had through telephone, email or Facebook and they even run web tutorials where you can log in and they go through each unit in depth.

They have done a lot of upgrades in the time I've been studying. If you book, book through seek if it gives you the option as the time given to complete the courses are generally longer (if u book thru oten itself you only get a year to complete this course and need to purchase your study materials seperate) where as if you book thru seek you get two yrs to do the course and books are included in the price.

Oten is run through tafe nsw.

If you have any questions please feel free to pm me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm doing a degree through Open Universities and the course is through Curtin University (in Perth). It isn't too bad, thanks to the wonder of Facebook it is easy to chat with other students in the course, which makes things a lot easier. I got accepted for a commonwealth supported place so I think it ends up being around $700 each unit, with prac units costing a lot more due to insurance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I've done 3 courses through OTEN. At a certificate 3 level it's fine. The resources they provide are probably lacking a bit but it's easy enough to figure out the answers. I didn't bother buying textbooks. Google was sufficient if I needed a bit more information.

I find doing a diploma a bit harder as once again provided resources are lacking. There isn't that level of support you have if studying on campus either.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm studying Psychological Science through CDU - I chose them because they were one of the only ones I could find that offered psychology entirely externally. It's only my first semester but I've found them to be good so far. It's a little frustrating because different lecturers set up the online classroom to each other but I think lecturers just do that no matter where you study! the cost is the same as internal as far as I know

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm currently studying dip. graphic design through CATC design college online, I find it a struggle at times and have not felt very supported by the staff/tutors at all. I also struggle to balance study/kids/life, my hubby is away a lot and I don't have much help with the bambinos and housework etc. In saying that I have enjoyed the course content and am really close to finishing...
    I have applied to continue on to university study in July through Swinburne online. Hoping they have a bit more support available.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nursing through CQU. They have quite a good online teaching format. You do have to attend residential schools for some subjects, which means traveling to a campus but it's only for a few days at most.
    I enjoy it, and I enjoy the few days away to attend res school lol I go to res at noosa!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a course Adviser that offers courses through Funded Study. We are connected to a few Colleges and also help you get a job along the way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm doing a geostats course online through Edith Cowan University. It's going quite well but not having class mates to bounce ideas off or quickly get clarification on things is not so great. The lecturer is really quick at getting back to emails but I do feel quite isolated and I do think i could do better if it wasn't online and actually face to face so to speak