+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Side by side and inline prams

Hi all with one or more of the above.

I am finding it very difficult and quite disheartening to find a double pram that suits what I'm after. I'm coming to the conclusion that I'll have to compromise on some things no matter which decision I make, but wondering if anyone else had this difficulty in deciding and what you ended up going with. I know the 'double pram' topic has been done before-many times-and I've read all those posts, but after looking further into the suggested prams they all seem to not quite or not nearly tick my boxes. Maybe I'm being too fussy...probably, lol.

First thought tandem, but not interested in the styles where one child gets a dodgy seat stuck under the other. Other inlines which allow more flexibility are either really expensive, even second hand (BJCS for instance) and often don't come with any accessories. Or, the seats are not very big at all and my 2 year old is tall.

Starting to consider side by sides, which I thought I'd never do, but have come around to the idea....but they seem to all be fairly reclined, even when fully upright and that would drive my toddler nuts!

We only have one car and so my pram kind of is my car. I'd like a good quality double that suits various terrains that will see me through a couple more kids after number 2 is born. I could keep our current pram and wear baby in carrier for outings (due July) as it will be winter so good carrier weather. But wish my perfect pram was out there!!

Anyway, sorry for the essay. Any thoughts? Is there a super pram I've never heard of that will save the day...? Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Lissy12.

I totally understand your thoughts.
    I have two children quite close together 18months and 3 months and the pram situation was driving me crazy.

When i had my first DD i was just using a second hand pram somebody passed on to me, it was a big jogger pram so i loved it for walks and i had a little stroller for outings and shops.

When we were pregnant with number two i did some investigating and bought a Phil and Ted Dot double, which seem to fit what i wanted and be very slimline. Bought this new for about $650 online

After the first few outings with both kids i realised it wasn't as practical as i needed and then i found i wasn't going out on my own with the kids cause it was all a bit too difficult. My baby was too long for the flat part of the pram, where the toddle sits on the front and then when i put him in the second sit behind- he couldn't sleep.

So i investigated a side by side pram- where they both could recline if needed. i NEVER thought i would be a side by side pram girl, but i walk a lot around the neighborhood. I actually bought a Steelcraft agile twin second hand for $400 and have found it great. it is easy to fold, very light, great storage compartments.

i intended to sell my phil and ted however we have decided to keep it and use both, sometimes you just need a slimline pram for say restaurants and its good to use when we are just making shorter trips to the shop and none of the kids need to sleep. As my baby gets bigger he should be happy to sleep in the second sit more upright.

it is very frustrating and can be expensive. Depends what you need the pram for the most.

my sister in law has the baby jogger city select double and LOVES it, she bought her online from NZ i think for about $800/$900
    The steel craft strider compact i heard if good as well- few of my friends have that.

If you want to talk it out more, i am happy to discuss it.
    i talked it out for hours with my husband (who was over it) haha

good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mandmbaby For This Useful Post:

Lissy12  (11-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a tandem pram -abc zoom. Bought it online from Germany $800. Love it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rpie For This Useful Post:

Lissy12  (11-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too had this dilemma. I have a phil and teds explorer with the second seat that was mostly a pita whilst using it for both children. So I bought a second hand side by side mountain buggy off ebay ($80) which has been amazing - It lives in garage and is never really folded down as many of our outings are on foot. If you are planning on putting your pram in and out of the car and going to lots of shopping centres perhaps a good quality double stroller ( one that fully reclines) a maclaren perhaps is worth looking at.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bun For This Useful Post:

Lissy12  (11-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm currently investigating the mountain buggy duet - side by side but only 63cm wide. Would love hear people's thoughts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Mountain Buggy is a terrain or something like that - The only shop aisles I dare not go down are $2-shops lol. My boys are 3.5 and almist 2 now and botb still fit without issue. CakeyMumma how old will your children be whilst using the duet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lissy12 View Post
    Anyway, sorry for the essay. Any thoughts? Is there a super pram I've never heard of that will save the day...? Lol
    Not sure if there's a super pram, but maybe the reviews section will help? We also have a checklist which might help frame your thoughts a bit and help to make the right decision.
    Last edited by BH-tech; 17-08-2015 at 10:37. Reason: Link Update

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bhjules For This Useful Post:

Lissy12  (11-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bun View Post
    My Mountain Buggy is a terrain or something like that - The only shop aisles I dare not go down are $2-shops lol. My boys are 3.5 and almist 2 now and botb still fit without issue. CakeyMumma how old will your children be whilst using the duet?

3 and newborn

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rpie View Post
    I have a tandem pram -abc zoom. Bought it online from Germany $800. Love it
    Hi rpie,

I actually saw this pram at the store on weekend. It is very spacious for an in line and really good handling...but the frame is so big! Did that bother you at first? I sort of couldn't get past the sheer structure size...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the input. I too NEVER thought I'd consider side by side, but they are actually becoming so appealing to me. I am not into shopping and when we go out it's to parks, the library, the beach, play dates... So I don't really need to factor in how well I fit narrow spaces and most side by sides tend to have better off road capabilities (lol, sounds like I'm talking about a car) and better suspension, which is what my current pram has lacked.

I have thought about the mountain buggies, and liked the idea of the duet as so narrow, but when I saw it in the flesh I didn't think it was a goer for us. The seats are very narrow and didn't think my toddler would be comfortable, or at least not if he grew anymore.

I really like the look of the new bj city mini gt double, but so expensive and I read somewhere that it's really not as 'off roady' as I thought.

Then started looking at the really serious all terrain types, but they are pretty dang ugly on the whole. Like the bob duallis, such good feedback and reviews but, well... Also they don't fold down as small so take up a lot of boot space which is a premium if you're going on holiday and taking a lot with you.

As I said at first, guess I'll have to compromise somewhere, such is life. Or maybe the perfect pram will come out before July?!! Wishful thinking much? ;-)