+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How much does your 1yr old sleep?

Ds is 15mths and sleeps 12hrs overnight (I suppose? I also suppose he doesn't fall asleep straight away and is awake for a while in the mornings before he starts to tell out?) so 11-12hrs overnight approx. And 2hrs during the day.
    Hes a difficult bub, always has been. Clingy and hard to keep amused. However I can't get anymore sleep into him. I have tried it all. We keep to routine but there are odd days he just has to go with what we are doing! (I have a 3yr old too).
    Just wondering how much sleep other 1yr olds are getting and how do u know it's enough or if they need more?

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Dd is 15 months, sleeps from 8pm to 7 am and then a 1.5-2 hour nap in the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's what our son did at that age - 12 hours (roughly) overnight plus two separate naps during the day. Now at 18 months the day naps have become one nap and is one hour-ish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds normal to me! When DD was that age she did the same ( although had two shorter naps until about 15 months old I think) and my DS is 13 months and has exactly the same routine as you described. Sometimes his day nap is only 1.5 hours but yesterday his nap was 3.5 hours!

As for being cranky, that sounds normal too! The constant whinging and whining! I'm actually surprised how much my DS eats. I am constantly giving him snacks and find he's cranky when he's hungry. Maybe try feeding your little one more solids? Fruit and cheese, things cut up really small so it takes them a while to feed it to themselves and keeps them busy for a while.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Average amount of total sleep needed for 12-24 months is 13-15 hours.

My 13 month dd naps for 12 hours overnight with 1 wake up and 2 x 1 hour naps during the day. I can not get her to nap past 1 hour any more.

Edit: yep whinging and whining is normal at this age. Mine does a lot too, and is very clingy. The hardest part of the day is after she wakes from her second nap around 3ish until dinner time at 530. She is so freaking miserable and impossible to please.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 11-03-2014 at 14:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cool thanks all. Yep he eats a lot. Pretty munch always has a piece of food in his hand.it is like He has been teething since he was born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD (17 months) sleeps...a lot. Very different from when she was younger. She usually sleeps 12 hours overnight (although sometimes more if she has the chance), plus 1 nap. Her nap is usually about 2 hours, but on days like today (very humid)... well she's currently up to a 2 3/4 hour nap.

That has its positives and negatives, but I guess she needs it. She's pretty happy all day these days. On days where she doesn't get so much sleep she tends to be EXTREMELY cranky.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 13mo sleeps 10-12hrs a night and 2 x 2 hours during the day.
    DD at that age transitioned to 1 day sleep of 3 hours.
    Last edited by Mmumm; 11-03-2014 at 15:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Muffet View Post
    Ds is 15mths and sleeps 12hrs overnight (I suppose? I also suppose he doesn't fall asleep straight away and is awake for a while in the mornings before he starts to tell out?) so 11-12hrs overnight approx. And 2hrs during the day.
    Hes a difficult bub, always has been. Clingy and hard to keep amused. However I can't get anymore sleep into him. I have tried it all. We keep to routine but there are odd days he just has to go with what we are doing! (I have a 3yr old too).
    Just wondering how much sleep other 1yr olds are getting and how do u know it's enough or if they need more?
    Sounds like he's doing great! My dd is 14 months 11-12 hours at night and I'm lucky if I get 1-1.5 hours during the day. That's about it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    My DD is 14 months and very similar to what PPs have said, roughly 11 hours overnight with occasional wakings if she's teething, and a 2 hour nap at midday. Seems to be enough for her, she has bundles of energy when she's awake, but when it's bed time she doesn't take long to conk out which makes me think she's tiring herself out.