+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Basically the dirty dozen and the clean 15 refer to the fruits and vegetables that are the most and least contaminated by pesticide use,

The list was updated in 2013 but here is a photo of the original to get you started. The new list just has more fruit and vege added.

I just went online and found this list. I carry it in my wallet and it's also on our fridge as I like to refer back to it when my memory fails me. ;-)

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1394583443.469795.jpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jadeabell For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (12-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Even if you don't believe organic will lower your pesticide exposure I recommend at least buying Australian produce - an example is the majority of the garlic sold in the big supermarkets is from china - they use pesticides that we have banned here plus they bleach it plus organic food is at least fresh and in season and in my opinion just tastes so much nicer!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lexim View Post
    Oh it's so easy

All those crappy old veggies in your fridge - you know, floppy carrots lol- stick them in a strainer over boiling water and cook.
    If you've got old chicken bones - I buy those mixed packs I think they are like $4 on special - chuck them in for chicken stock
    Or beef bones for beef stock.

Freeze in 250ml portions

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept
    Floppy carrots. Love it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadeabell View Post
    Basically the dirty dozen and the clean 15 refer to the fruits and vegetables that are the most and least contaminated by pesticide use,

The list was updated in 2013 but here is a photo of the original to get you started. The new list just has more fruit and vege added.

I just went online and found this list. I carry it in my wallet and it's also on our fridge as I like to refer back to it when my memory fails me. ;-)

Attachment 51362
    Thanks so much! That's really interesting and I will definitely keep an eye on the dirty dozen. Does it matter as much if you peel the fruit and veg? Does the risk decrease if I buy non organic apples but peel them first?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Even if you don't believe organic will lower your pesticide exposure I recommend at least buying Australian produce - an example is the majority of the garlic sold in the big supermarkets is from china - they use pesticides that we have banned here plus they bleach it plus organic food is at least fresh and in season and in my opinion just tastes so much nicer!
    I try buy Australian where possible but will definitely buy organic garlic now! In china they bleach it? Omg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have done a lot of reading on the benefits of organic... in the end, I decided that it is better for me on our tight budget to buy more fruit & veg overall, rather than just buy a small amount of expensive, organic fruit & veg. We couldn't afford to buy the quantity of fruit & veg that we eat now if it were organic - we eat for eg, 3kg of carrots a week.

Also, our only organic produce in my area is the organic section in a large chain supermarket - not ideal. I prefer to buy quality fruit & veg from the local sellers, & I am lucky enough to live in an area with some local (not organic) farmers that sell direct to the consumer. I personally would prefer to buy non-organic produce from a local farmer rather than something from the very limited organic section in a large supermarket which is 4x the cost.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, same here. I like to try and limit my exposure to chemicals where I can.
    I find this a really interesting concept

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemis...atchemical.htm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dollypops View Post
    Thanks so much! That's really interesting and I will definitely keep an eye on the dirty dozen. Does it matter as much if you peel the fruit and veg? Does the risk decrease if I buy non organic apples but peel them first?
    Peeling will definitely remove a good amount but I think the problem is the pesticides can get into the soil while they are growing and can get into the actual fruit plus the skin has most of the vitamins !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I find this a really interesting concept

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemis...atchemical.htm
    Sorry cheeeeesecake wrong choice of the word chemical I see.

Chemicals, pesticides, I think people understood what I was trying to say?

I blame tired new mummy brain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry cheeeeesecake wrong choice of the word chemical I see.

Chemicals, pesticides, I think people understood what I was trying to say?

I blame tired new mummy brain.
    Lol, its a very commonly misused word, I knew whT u were saying, just being nitpicky, sorry!