+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Or you can take a whole bunch of veggies and herbs. Cook with a bit of water. Purée then freeze in ice cube trays.

Voila instant stock cubes!

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lexim For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (12-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks elijahsmum and lexim! I will give the stock a go. Do you add salt or anything else? Also which Salt is best? Atm I use maldon sea salt.

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't add a lot of salt because I freeze it so I don't need salt to preserve. But you can

I use Himalayan pink salt or iodised salt

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lexim For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (12-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Same - pink salt or my SIL makes me celery salt plus we use lots of herbs and black pepper in our stocks

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (12-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've read that organic meat is worth doing (no hormones, better ethically) but organic veggies aren't (same nutrients and as healthy as non-organic). There you go short and sweet with no references to back it up

I've found concentrating getting enough veggies in my diet has really focused me in the right way into healthier eating. If you really pack enough fresh and simple fruit and veg in it starts to get difficult to eat the wrong stuff.

Green smoothies! Look them up. Great way to swap a meal out for some green veg.
    Last edited by Bongley; 11-03-2014 at 19:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks I will try the pink salt. After reading the responses on organic veg I'm back to being on the fence.. There's so much conflicting info out there. I will look into the organic meat tho. I don't eat meat, we eat alot of vegetarian meals but dh and dd do eat meat a few times a week so id prefer it be decent quality. We have green smoothies too! They are so good for getting a quick hit of veggies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't like the idea of pesticides ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, same here. I like to try and limit my exposure to chemicals where I can. I use the Clean 15 and Dirty Dozen lists as guide when choosing my produce. Anything from the Dirty Dozen I try and buy organic, and from the Clean 15 I just make sure I give it all a good wash before using.
    With meat I try and buy locally and from a humane source. For peace of mind more than taste.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love to eat purely organic food but financially it's just not an option for us.

I buy organic meat and organic free range eggs. I source as much of our fruit and veg locally as I can (farmers markets and our local fruit and veg store). Most of it isn't organic but at least I know it's been grown locally, is fresh and hasn't been in storage.

I buy bread mostly from our local bakery for freshness. Of course I get caught out at times and this doesn't happen.

We have a thermomix so make all stocks etc from scratch and don't use any pre made sauces from jars.

We grow our own herbs.

I feel really happy with how our family eats despite it not all being organic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadeabell View Post
    Yes, same here. I like to try and limit my exposure to chemicals where I can. I use the Clean 15 and Dirty Dozen lists as guide when choosing my produce. Anything from the Dirty Dozen I try and buy organic, and from the Clean 15 I just make sure I give it all a good wash before using.
    With meat I try and buy locally and from a humane source. For peace of mind more than taste.
    What is the dirty dozen and clean 15? Sounds interesting..